Practical questions on wireless internet bandwitdth

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of bandwidth increasing when downloading large files or opening multiple tabs. This is attributed to the use of BitTorrent, a popular file-sharing technology.
mordechai9
(1) Sometimes I notice that the bandwidth goes up a lot after I start getting a large feed. Like, my internet might be going pretty slowly, then I start downloading a large file and my internet connection moves up to 24 or 36 Mbps, loading web pages very fast, despite the fact that I am also downloading a large file in the background. Why?

(2) I also sometimes notice a bandwidth increase just from loading a lot of alternate sites. For example, my internet is going slowly, web pages are loading only quite slowly, then I open up a couple of other tabs and alternatively click on google news web pages for 10-20 clicks (separated by 2-3 seconds), and it will increase my connection speed such that web pages start to load faster... ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, some of those things you said are true.

If you had asked that question 20 years ago, you might have been the inventor of the infamous strategy called BitTorrent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

Related to Practical questions on wireless internet bandwitdth

What is wireless internet bandwidth?

Wireless internet bandwidth refers to the amount of data that can be transmitted over a wireless network in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in bits per second (bps) and is an important factor in determining the speed and performance of a wireless internet connection.

How is wireless internet bandwidth different from wired internet bandwidth?

Wireless internet bandwidth is different from wired internet bandwidth in that it uses radio waves to transmit data, while wired internet uses physical cables. Wireless internet also tends to have a lower bandwidth compared to wired internet, which can result in slower data transmission speeds.

What factors can affect wireless internet bandwidth?

There are several factors that can affect wireless internet bandwidth, including the distance between the device and the wireless router, the number of devices connected to the network, and any physical obstructions such as walls or furniture. Interference from other electronic devices can also impact wireless internet bandwidth.

How can I improve my wireless internet bandwidth?

To improve wireless internet bandwidth, you can try moving closer to the router, reducing the number of devices connected to the network, and minimizing physical obstructions. You can also try changing the wireless channel on your router to reduce interference from other devices.

Is there a limit to wireless internet bandwidth?

Yes, there is a limit to wireless internet bandwidth, as with any other type of internet connection. The maximum bandwidth depends on the type of wireless technology being used and the capabilities of the wireless router. However, with advancements in technology, wireless internet bandwidth continues to increase and improve over time.