Pre-Algebra Struggles: What Can I Do?

• Thread starter iownyou81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary, the person is struggling in their algebra class because they cannot understand their teacher, who is from Baja California, a place claimed by both Mexico and California. They have tried to communicate this to the teacher but have been written up for making fun of him. The only solution may be to speak to the principal and involve their parents.
iownyou81
alright the deal is my teacher is from baha california. you know the place that is in mexico but california claims it? newayz i can't understand a word he says so i end up trying to do the problems by myself and I'm currently failing because of that. so I'm wondering if you have any suggestions on what i should do ? he's the only algebra teacher so they can't move me out of the class. I've tryed telling him i can't understand but he writes me up because he thinks I'm making fun of him lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
Talk to the principal and preferably with your parents in tow!

First of all, it's important to remember that struggling with a subject is completely normal and there is no shame in asking for help. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation with your teacher's accent and it's understandable that you are having a hard time understanding him. Here are a few suggestions that may help:

1. Talk to your teacher: It's important to communicate with your teacher and let him know that you are having a hard time understanding him. Try to approach him respectfully and explain the situation. You can also ask him if he can slow down or repeat certain parts that you are having trouble with.

2. Ask for extra help: If you are having trouble understanding the material, it's important to seek extra help. Your teacher may have office hours or you can ask if there is a tutor available to assist you. You can also ask a friend or family member who is good at math to help you.

3. Use online resources: There are many online resources available that can help you with pre-algebra. You can find video tutorials, practice problems, and even online tutors that can assist you.

4. Talk to your school counselor: If you feel like you are not getting the support you need from your teacher, it may be helpful to talk to your school counselor. They can help you find resources or possibly even switch to a different teacher if necessary.

Remember, it's important to not give up and keep trying your best. With some extra effort and support, you can overcome your struggles with pre-algebra. Good luck!

Related to Pre-Algebra Struggles: What Can I Do?

1. What is pre-algebra and why is it important?

Pre-algebra is a foundational math course that introduces students to basic algebraic concepts and prepares them for more advanced math courses. It covers topics such as equations, inequalities, fractions, and exponents. It is important because it builds the necessary skills and understanding for success in higher level math courses.

2. What are some common struggles students face in pre-algebra?

Some common struggles students face in pre-algebra include understanding abstract concepts, difficulty with problem solving, and lack of foundational math skills. Additionally, many students struggle with retaining and applying previously learned concepts.

3. What can I do to improve my pre-algebra skills?

There are several things you can do to improve your pre-algebra skills. First, make sure you have a strong foundation in basic math concepts such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Practice regularly and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed. Utilize online resources and practice problems to strengthen your understanding of pre-algebra concepts.

4. How can I overcome my fear of math and pre-algebra?

It is common for students to feel anxious or intimidated by math, especially pre-algebra. To overcome this fear, it is important to change your mindset and approach. Instead of viewing math as a daunting subject, try to see it as a puzzle to solve. Break down problems into smaller, manageable steps and celebrate your successes. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help from teachers or classmates.

5. Is it possible to catch up if I am struggling in pre-algebra?

Yes, it is possible to catch up if you are struggling in pre-algebra. It may require extra effort and time, but with dedication and persistence, you can improve your skills and understanding. Seek help from teachers or tutors, practice regularly, and don't get discouraged. Remember that everyone learns at their own pace and it is never too late to improve your understanding of pre-algebra.

Back