Precalculus book,your opinion is needed.

• Thread starter YYaaSSeeRR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalculus
In summary, the speaker has graduated high school and plans to study Electrical Engineering at Cleveland State University. They have 5 months before starting classes and are looking for resources to strengthen their math foundation, specifically in calculus. They initially purchased "Precalculus for Dummies" but felt it was too superficial and have now found a free book called "Precalculus (an investigation of functions)" online. They are seeking recommendations for other books and mention "Precalculus with Limits" by Larson and a book by Stewart as potential options.
YYaaSSeeRR
hi
I have graduated from high school and now I am going to apply to Cleveland state university to study Electrical engineering.
anyway,I will have about 5 months before starting classes so I will need to strength my math foundation for calculus.
I bought Precalculus for dummies but I figured out it gives you superficial information so I decided to use another book.
I have found this one:
Precalculus (an investigation of functions) ,it is a free book and here is the website:

http://www.opentextbookstore.com/precalc/

I would appreciate it if you make a look and tell me what do you think.

I would appreciate it if you have any other recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't seen this book, but it seems to cover the common topics. I can really only suggest the one that I used, which was Precalculus with Limits by Larson. I don't remember it being phenomenal, but it got the job done. I know that Stewart has one too, of which I haven't heard complaints. Generally, if it's written by a calculus author, he is exposing precalculus with calculus in mind.

FAQ: Precalculus book,your opinion is needed.

1. What is the purpose of a precalculus book?

A precalculus book is designed to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and skills needed for success in calculus and other advanced mathematics courses. It covers topics such as functions, equations, graphs, and trigonometry.

2. How is a precalculus book different from a calculus book?

A precalculus book focuses on building a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry, which are important for understanding calculus. It may also cover other topics like analytic geometry and sequences and series. A calculus book, on the other hand, assumes prior knowledge of precalculus and delves into more complex concepts and applications of calculus.

3. Is there a specific order in which topics should be studied in a precalculus book?

Yes, most precalculus books follow a logical progression of topics, starting with fundamental algebra concepts and building up to more advanced topics like logarithms and conic sections. It is important to follow this order to ensure a strong understanding of the material.

4. Are precalculus books useful for self-study?

Yes, precalculus books can be a valuable resource for self-studying. They typically contain detailed explanations, examples, and practice problems to help students grasp the concepts. However, it may be helpful to also seek guidance from a teacher or tutor if you encounter difficulties.

5. How can I choose the best precalculus book?

Choosing the best precalculus book depends on your learning style and goals. Look for books with clear explanations, a variety of practice problems, and additional resources like online tutorials or practice tests. It may also be helpful to read reviews or get recommendations from teachers or other students.