Precise definition of limits at infinity

In summary: M there exists an x such that ...You almost have the definition of an infinite limit. But not quite. I'm not saying this is helpful for a proof. It is an observation helpful for understanding the particular situation.Basically you have to show the function is bounded. Note that the def of (finite) limits at infinity shows it is bounded beyond some sufficiently large values of x. So to be unbounded it would need to be unbounded on a finite interval.
drawar

Homework Statement

Let f be a continuous function on ℝ. Suppose that [itex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to - \infty } f(x) = 0[/itex] and [itex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty } f(x) = 0[/itex]. Prove that there exists a number M > 0 such that [itex]\left| {f(x)} \right| \le M[/itex] for all [itex]x \in ℝ[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to - \infty } f(x) = 0[/itex] ⇔ for every ε > 0 there is N such that if x > N then [itex]\left| {f(x)} \right| < ε[/itex]

[itex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to - \infty } f(x) = 0[/itex] ⇔ for every ε > 0 there is N such that if x < N then [itex]\left| {f(x)} \right| < ε[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see something similar to the precise definition of limits at infinity in the question but I'm not sure if this is the case. Any hint is appreciated, thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to invoke two definitions here. The fact that "f is a continuous function" is vital.

You might start by considering how the graph of f must look given all the "givens". Try to draw a graph which violates the assertion to be proved yet satisfies the given conditions.

Also look at the negation of the assertion to be proved and see if it fits another definition you've recently studied.

jambaugh said:
You will have to invoke two definitions here. The fact that "f is a continuous function" is vital.

You might start by considering how the graph of f must look given all the "givens". Try to draw a graph which violates the assertion to be proved yet satisfies the given conditions.

Also look at the negation of the assertion to be proved and see if it fits another definition you've recently studied.

Thank you. It seems the existence of such an M is dependent on the continuity of f(x).
Let's take f(x)=1/x, which is not a continuous function. Then the graph of |f(x)| will have both horizontal and vertical asymptotes. In this case such an M doesn't exist.
On the other hand, when I take f(x)=1/(1+x^2) the graph of |f(x)| is nothing but the same as that of f(x). It's easy to pick an M that satisfies the given conditions.
Btw, if I'm not mistaken then the negation of the assertion to be proved is 'For all number M, M<0 and |f(x)|>M'. Also, from what I've learned this far, only the Intermediate Value Theorem and the Extreme Value Theorem require the continuity of the function, but I don't really see any point.

drawar said:
Thank you. It seems the existence of such an M is dependent on the continuity of f(x).
Let's take f(x)=1/x, which is not a continuous function. Then the graph of |f(x)| will have both horizontal and vertical asymptotes. In this case such an M doesn't exist.
On the other hand, when I take f(x)=1/(1+x^2) the graph of |f(x)| is nothing but the same as that of f(x). It's easy to pick an M that satisfies the given conditions.
Btw, if I'm not mistaken then the negation of the assertion to be proved is 'For all number M, M<0 and |f(x)|>M'. Also, from what I've learned this far, only the Intermediate Value Theorem and the Extreme Value Theorem require the continuity of the function, but I don't really see any point.

for all M there exists an x such that ...
You almost have the definition of an infinite limit. But not quite. I'm not saying this is helpful for a proof. It is an observation helpful for understanding the particular situation.

Basically you have to show the function is bounded. Note that the def of (finite) limits at infinity shows it is bounded beyond some sufficiently large values of x. So to be unbounded it would need to be unbounded on a finite interval.

FAQ: Precise definition of limits at infinity

1. What is the precise definition of a limit at infinity?

The precise definition of a limit at infinity is that for a function f(x), as x approaches infinity, the limit of f(x) is L if for every positive number ε, there exists a corresponding value N such that for all x greater than N, the difference between f(x) and L is less than ε.

2. How does the precise definition of a limit at infinity differ from the definition of a limit at a specific value?

The precise definition of a limit at infinity is similar to the definition of a limit at a specific value, but the key difference is that for a limit at infinity, we are concerned with the behavior of the function as x approaches infinity, rather than a specific value of x. This means that the value of the limit can be calculated by looking at the behavior of the function as x gets larger and larger, rather than just at a single point.

3. Can a function have a limit at infinity if it is not defined at infinity?

Yes, a function can have a limit at infinity even if it is not defined at infinity. This is because the definition of a limit at infinity only considers the behavior of the function as x approaches infinity, not the value of the function at infinity. As long as the function approaches a specific value as x gets larger and larger, it can have a limit at infinity.

4. How can limits at infinity be used to determine the end behavior of a function?

Limits at infinity can be used to determine the end behavior of a function by looking at the limit as x approaches positive infinity and negative infinity. If the limit at positive infinity is a specific value, then the function approaches that value as x gets larger. Similarly, if the limit at negative infinity is a specific value, then the function approaches that value as x gets smaller. This can help us understand the long-term behavior of a function.

5. Are there any special cases when calculating limits at infinity?

Yes, there are a few special cases when calculating limits at infinity. One case is when the function has a horizontal asymptote, meaning the function approaches a specific value as x approaches positive or negative infinity. In this case, the limit at infinity is equal to the value of the horizontal asymptote. Another case is when the function has a vertical asymptote, meaning the function approaches infinity or negative infinity as x approaches a specific value. In this case, the limit at infinity does not exist.