Precise Vehicle Control Using Electronics

In summary, the person is trying to build a car that can go a set distance and stop at a certain point. They are looking for a way to automate the process so that the car can go where it is supposed to without human input. They are also looking for a way to measure the car's movement so that it can correct itself.
festschrift
I do not know if this post belongs here, but it does deal with electronics. I am building a car about 30cm long and 20cm wide. This car has to go a specified distance and must stop as closely as possible to this distance. I have built previous vehicle and found out that there are only two things to consider; 1) the car moving left and right, 2) and stopping +/- 2 cm to the correct spot. For the new car, i want to use some electronic device that can give me some data, so that the car can adjust itself while moving. The first car is has 4 wheels with a microprocessor that is programmed to run a stepper motor on the left and right back wheels. With the data from the electronic device i want to be able to calculate the speed the opposite wheels should be moving at, so that the car compensates on its own. I also want something else to be able to make sure the car stops at the right distance. If anyone knows of a device that can give me this type of data, please let me know. Thanks. If there is a better place for this post, let me know and i will post it there.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is the best place for your post. If you are using stepper motors, you will know from the number of steps that you drive how far you have gone. Why do you need left-right correction? Are you not able to just aim the car accurately before starting it?

I did do that for the stepper motor, but the car is still overshooting and i need a way to correct that. It may be a calculation problem, but I'm not sure. The bigger problem is the left-right movement. Since the car was not built perfectly, and no floor is perfectly level, i cannot easily aim the car on the first shot to go where i want it to. I'm hoping there is some device that can detect this left-right motion so that the motors can fix the problem on its own. Even with aiming with a mounted rifle scope, it is still hard to get the car to go where it needs to, mainly because of the floor. Thanks for the reply and sorry for my late response.

FAQ: Precise Vehicle Control Using Electronics

1. How does electronic vehicle control work?

Electronic vehicle control uses sensors, actuators, and a central control unit to monitor and adjust various aspects of a vehicle's performance. The sensors gather data on factors such as speed, acceleration, and steering angle, which is then processed by the control unit to make adjustments to the vehicle's systems, such as braking, steering, and engine power.

2. What are the benefits of using electronic vehicle control?

Electronic vehicle control offers several benefits, including improved safety, efficiency, and performance. By constantly monitoring and adjusting the vehicle's systems, it can help prevent accidents and improve handling. It can also optimize fuel efficiency and reduce emissions by making precise adjustments to the engine and transmission. Additionally, electronic vehicle control can enhance the driving experience by providing smoother and more responsive handling.

3. Can electronic vehicle control be retrofitted onto older vehicles?

In most cases, electronic vehicle control cannot be retrofitted onto older vehicles. This technology requires a complex network of sensors, actuators, and a control unit, which would be difficult and expensive to install on a vehicle that was not designed for it. However, some aftermarket electronic control systems may be available for certain vehicles, but they may not offer the same level of performance and integration as factory-installed systems.

4. How does electronic vehicle control improve handling?

Electronic vehicle control improves handling by constantly monitoring and adjusting the vehicle's systems to maintain stability and control. For example, if the vehicle begins to skid, the control unit can apply brakes to individual wheels to correct the skid and keep the vehicle on its intended path. It can also adjust the steering angle and engine power to help the driver maintain control in various driving conditions.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to electronic vehicle control?

While electronic vehicle control has many benefits, there are a few potential drawbacks. One is the added cost, as this technology adds complexity and components to the vehicle, which can increase the overall price. Additionally, some drivers may feel less connected to the road and the driving experience with electronic control systems making all the adjustments. There is also a risk of malfunctions or system failures, but this is mitigated by regular maintenance and updates to the system.