Predicates and Quanitifiers - Can't understand Question

• MHB
  • Thread starter Tvtakaveli
  • Start date
In summary, the statement that if m is odd and n is big, then n - m is big is true for every m and n.
Tvtakaveli
Hi I'm new here but can't get my head around this problem.

We use the predicates O and B, with domain the integers. O(n) is true if n is odd, and
B(n) is true if n if big, which here means that n > 100.
(a) Express ∀m, n ∈ Z|O(m) ∧ B(n) ⇒ B(n − m) in conversational English.
(b) Find a counter-example to this statement.

Now i take it two ways;
Just expressing the imply part of the statement so,
The difference between n and m is big.

Or is it deeper than that like;
For every m, n is an element of Z and so m is odd and n is big. This implies the difference between n and m is big.

Thank you for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tvtakaveli said:
(a) Express ∀m, n ∈ Z|O(m) ∧ B(n) ⇒ B(n − m) in conversational English.
I assume that ∧ binds stronger than ⇒ (similar to times and plus, respectively). This is a usual convention. Then the formula should be read literally. The part after | has the form P ⇒ Q. Such formula is read "If P, then Q". Next, the assumption P is O(m) ∧ B(n). This is read "m is odd and n is big". Finally, the conclusion Q of the implication is B(n − m), which is read "n - m is big". Altogether the quantifier-free part is "If m is odd and n is big, then n - m is big". Adding the quantifiers gives the final answer:

For all m and n, if m is odd and n is big, then n - m is big.

I would say that if it is stipulated that the domain is the set of integers, it is not necessary to say "for all integer m and n": this is assumed.

Hi, thanks for clearing that up, I really appreciate it.

So just to confirm, producing a counter statement would just be substituting values. E. G.

Let m = 9 and n=105. 105-9 =96 which is not big (>100) therefore the statement is irrational.

Tvtakaveli said:
Let m = 9 and n=105. 105-9 =96 which is not big (>100) therefore the statement is irrational.
Yes. The only remark is that statements can be true or false, and real numbers can be rational or irrational.

Last edited:

Related to Predicates and Quanitifiers - Can't understand Question

1. What are predicates and quantifiers?

Predicates and quantifiers are concepts used in logic and mathematics to express statements about a set of objects. A predicate is a function that takes in one or more objects and returns a truth value (either true or false) for that statement. Quantifiers are used to indicate the quantity of objects for which a predicate is true.

2. How are predicates and quantifiers used in scientific research?

In scientific research, predicates and quantifiers are used to make precise and specific statements about a set of objects or variables. They help to define the scope and conditions of a study, and can also be used to make predictions and draw conclusions from data.

3. What is the difference between universal and existential quantifiers?

Universal quantifiers (∀) indicate that a predicate is true for all objects in a set, while existential quantifiers (∃) indicate that at least one object in the set makes the predicate true. In other words, universal quantifiers make a statement about the entire set, while existential quantifiers make a statement about at least one object within the set.

4. How do predicates and quantifiers relate to set theory?

Predicates and quantifiers are closely related to set theory, as they are used to define the properties and conditions of sets. In fact, predicates can be thought of as defining a subset of a larger set, and quantifiers indicate the quantity of objects within that subset.

5. Can you provide an example of a statement using predicates and quantifiers?

Sure! One example would be "For all integers x, there exists an integer y such that x + y = 10." This statement uses the universal quantifier (∀) to indicate that the predicate "x + y = 10" is true for all integers x, and the existential quantifier (∃) to indicate that there is at least one integer y that makes the predicate true.