Predicting Beam Buckling: 5x5 vs. 6x6 with 1x1 Square Hole

• Thread starter GBA13
  • Start date
In summary: It's not a matter of weight, insofar as buckling is concerned. It's how the material in the cross-section is distributed around the centroid of the section.So I calculated the second moment of areas and found that 6x6 one has a much greater I than the 5x5. So I think that from the formula that the 5x5 would bend first? Thanks!
GBA13

Homework Statement

Hi, guys!

I am trying to work out with beam will buckle first, either a beam with a square cross section, 5x5 or a beam with a square cross section, 6x6 with a 1x1 square removed from the middle of the section.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I'm not really sure as they have the same dimensions in a way, 5 for the 5x5 and 6-1 for the 6x6. But I am think that as a hollow cylinder is stronger than a full cylinder, the 6x6 with a hole in the middle will buckle second.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You really can't say what will buckle first, just going by the cross section of the member. The unsupported length of the member, the end conditions, any eccentricities in the applied load all influence calculating the critical load beyond which buckling can be expected.

SteamKing said:
You really can't say what will buckle first, just going by the cross section of the member. The unsupported length of the member, the end conditions, any eccentricities in the applied load all influence calculating the critical load beyond which buckling can be expected.

Hi SteamKing,

Yeah I'm not given much expect those are the two cross sections of long and slender bars which are loaded in compression with a pin ended support. They are both subjected to the same force and are the same length.

GBA13 said:
Hi SteamKing,

Yeah I'm not given much expect those are the two cross sections of long and slender bars which are loaded in compression with a pin ended support. They are both subjected to the same force and are the same length.

The critical buckling load is given by Euler's formula:

F = π2E I / (K L2), where for pinned-pinned columns, K = 1.0

L = unsupported span
E = Young's modulus for the column material
I = second moment of area of the cross section

In calculating I, you must find the axis about which the second moment of area is a minimum. For sections which have axes of symmetry, the second moment calculated about one of those axes will have a minimum value, and this value must be used in Euler's formula.

You should be able to calculate the second moments for the two beam cross sections given in the OP and decide which figure gives the smallest second moment value.

correct me if I'm wrong but the 6x6 even removing the 1x1 core would outweigh the 5x5 increasing its total downward force on the span.

dragoneyes001 said:
correct me if I'm wrong but the 6x6 even removing the 1x1 core would outweigh the 5x5 increasing its total downward force on the span.

It's not a matter of weight, insofar as buckling is concerned. It's how the material in the cross-section is distributed around the centroid of the section.

So I calculated the second moment of areas and found that 6x6 one has a much greater I than the 5x5. So I think that from the formula that the 5x5 would bend first? Thanks!

Related to Predicting Beam Buckling: 5x5 vs. 6x6 with 1x1 Square Hole

1. Which material is more likely to buckle first?

The material that is more likely to buckle first depends on various factors such as its thickness, strength, and the type of load applied. Generally, materials with lower strength and thickness are more likely to buckle first.

2. What is the difference between buckling and bending?

Buckling refers to the sudden failure of a material under compressive stress, while bending is the gradual deformation of a material under external forces. Buckling occurs when the compressive stress exceeds the critical buckling stress of a material.

3. Can the shape of a structure affect its likelihood of buckling?

Yes, the shape of a structure can significantly impact its likelihood of buckling. For example, structures with thin and long columns are more prone to buckling compared to shorter and thicker columns.

4. How can we prevent buckling in structures?

Buckling can be prevented by using materials with higher strength and thickness, designing structures with appropriate shapes and supports, and avoiding excessive loads or stresses on the structure.

5. Are there any real-life examples of buckling?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of buckling, such as the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in 1940 due to wind-induced buckling, the failure of the Hyatt Regency walkway in 1981 due to improper design, and the collapse of the World Trade Center towers in 2001 under the weight of the structures above.