Predicting Precipitates: Solubility Rules for Cations and Anions

In summary, the conversation is about a chemistry student asking for help with a homework problem. The problem involves finding all the compounds that would be precipitated if hydrochloric acid is added to a solution containing the cations Ag, Al, As, Ba, Bi, Ca, Cd, Co, Cr, Cu, and Fe. The student is advised to use solubility rules and is later asked to find all the precipitated compounds using hydrogen sulfide plus hydrochloric acid. The concept of "smallest number of cations" is briefly explained. The student confirms their answers and is referred to a chemistry textbook for further assistance.
ACLerok
I'm taking Chem II over the summer at a junior college and was given this problem on one of my homework assignments:

I am told I have a sol'n containing the cations Ag, Al, As, Ba, Bi, Ca, Cd, Co, Cr, Cu, and Fe.

My objective is to write all the compounds that would be precipitated if hydrochloric acid is added to the above sol'n.

My instincts are telling me to just use the solubility rules. For example, when Ag and hydrochloric acid combine, AgCl is formed but according to the solubility rules AgCl is insoluble so AgCl would be one of the compounds that would be precipitated. Am I going about this all wrong or what? Thanks alot!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You're doing fine.

The 2nd part says that a reagent is now needed that will precipitate the smallest number of remaining cations and that the best reagent for this is hydrogen sulfide plus hydrochloric acid. It then asks me to find all the compounds that would be precipitated.

Do I just go about this the same way for the first part? I don't understand when they say 'smallest number of cations'. Please can anyone help me with this?

Same game. You've knocked out the silver. Now, you want to know what else is in there, and you'd like to find out one, or at most a few at a time. By "smallest number," they mean the smallest number of different species, rather than the smallest total amount of ions precipitated from solution. Pretty ambiguously written.

for the first part, the only compound I got is AgCl and for the second part I got AsS, BiS, CdS, and CuS.

Am I right on this ones or no? And thanks a lot for all your help.

Looks 'bout right.

In your chemistry textbook should be a list of insoluble and soluble ionic compounds, just correspond with this table, shouldn't take too long.

-------
Help with college chemistry
http://groups.msn.com/GeneralChemistryTutor

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't know how deep into this you are going, but this seems like a trick question from my experience. there was a given amount of HCl and you had to see how much of what compound would form by using the solubility product. although if you havnt touched on that stuff yet i'd be certain your on the right path

Related to Predicting Precipitates: Solubility Rules for Cations and Anions

1. What is solubility in chemistry?

Solubility in chemistry refers to the ability of a substance, known as the solute, to dissolve in a solvent. It is a physical property that describes how much of a substance can dissolve in a certain amount of solvent at a given temperature and pressure.

2. How is solubility measured?

Solubility is typically measured in units of grams of solute per 100 grams of solvent (g/100g) or in moles of solute per liter of solution (mol/L). These values can be obtained experimentally, by adding a known amount of solute to a fixed amount of solvent and measuring the resulting concentration of the solution.

3. What factors affect solubility?

The solubility of a substance can be affected by a variety of factors, such as temperature, pressure, and the nature of the solute and solvent. Generally, increasing temperature and/or pressure can increase solubility, while the chemical properties of the solute and solvent can also play a role.

4. How can solubility be predicted?

Solubility can be predicted through the use of solubility rules, which are guidelines based on the chemical properties of substances that can help determine whether a certain substance will dissolve in a given solvent. Other methods, such as using solubility charts or conducting experiments, can also be used to predict solubility.

5. What are the applications of solubility in chemistry?

Solubility plays a crucial role in various chemical processes, such as drug development, food and beverage production, and environmental studies. It also helps determine the effectiveness of cleaning agents, the solubility of pollutants in water, and the solubility of minerals in soil, among others.