Preferred Basis solution in MWI

• Thread starter mieral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis Mwi
In summary, Fredrik proposed that in order to interpret quantum mechanics as a description of the universe, it could be postulated that every 1-dimensional subspace of the Hilbert space represents a world. This would eliminate the preferred basis problem. However, this solution is problematic because we never observe such 1-dimensional worlds and it does not help to explain our observations. The term "1-dimensional world" refers to a basis that is orthogonal to each other. It is not clear if Fredrik is still active in the community as his last appearance was in 2016.
mieral
For the difficulty of getting a preferred basis in the unitary only MWI. I saw this message by Fredrik:

"If we just let it go, it seems very natural to me to (if we insist on trying to interpret QM as a description of the universe) postulate something like "every 1-dimensional subspace of the Hilbert space of the universe represents a world". This eliminates the preferred basis problem."

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-many-worlds-interpretation-of-qm.676537/page-5

What is your objection to Fredrik solution that "every 1-dimensional subspace of the Hilbert space of the universe represents a world"?

Physics news on Phys.org
My objection is that we never observe such 1-dimensional worlds. If the point is to explain our observations, then such an interpretation doesn't help.

Likes mieral and fresh_42
Demystifier said:
My objection is that we never observe such 1-dimensional worlds. If the point is to explain our observations, then such an interpretation doesn't help.

Does 1-dimensional world mean a basis orthogonal to each other? can you please use other words for it that I can look up?

He who calls himself Fredrik (science adviser) was last seen in Dec 24, 2016. Is he still in our branch/world? Hope he is ok.

FAQ: Preferred Basis solution in MWI

1. What is the Preferred Basis solution in MWI?

The Preferred Basis solution in MWI stands for the preferred basis interpretation of quantum mechanics, which is a theory that attempts to explain the behavior of quantum systems by proposing that there is an underlying preferred basis or set of states that are more "real" or "objective" than others.

2. How does the Preferred Basis solution differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

The Preferred Basis solution differs from other interpretations in that it suggests that there is an objective reality underlying quantum systems, rather than the more subjective approach of other interpretations such as the Copenhagen interpretation.

3. What evidence supports the Preferred Basis solution in MWI?

There is currently no definitive evidence that supports the Preferred Basis solution in MWI. However, some proponents of this interpretation argue that it offers a more complete and intuitive explanation of quantum phenomena than other interpretations.

4. Are there any criticisms of the Preferred Basis solution in MWI?

Yes, there are several criticisms of the Preferred Basis solution in MWI. One major criticism is that it relies on the existence of parallel universes, which is a controversial and unproven concept. Additionally, some argue that it still does not fully explain the measurement problem in quantum mechanics.

5. How does the Preferred Basis solution in MWI impact our understanding of reality?

The Preferred Basis solution in MWI challenges our traditional understanding of reality by proposing that there are multiple parallel universes and that our perception of reality is only one possible outcome of quantum events. However, this interpretation is still debated and not widely accepted in the scientific community.

Back