Preparing for Calculus I: Essential Topics & Recommended Books

• Thread starter LSDwhat?
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's acceptance into a university for computer engineering and their struggles with math. The objectives, recommended books, and program for Calculus I are also mentioned. The speaker asks for a recommendation for an easy-to-learn calculus book and the expert suggests Anton, Bivens, Davis - Calculus, 8th Edition, Wiley, 2005 as well as another recommended book.
LSDwhat?
Hello to all , first of all sorry for my poor english.
So this year I made the final exams and got accept to go to University to take Computer Engeneer I don't know if that's what is called on there , despite my bad math formation I did it.
Now I will have Calcuclus I and II and I have to prepare my self becouse I am suppose to already know some stuff for calculus that I wasnt tought like limits and derivate.

These are the objectives for Calculus I :

Learn the basic topics of Mathematical Analysis. It is intended that the students acquire elementary techniques of calculus for the Physics, Chemistry and Engineering. Moreover, they should develop solid methods of logical reasoning.

The are the books used and recommend:

Main book -Anton, Bivens, Davis - Calculus, 8th Edition, Wiley, 2005 .

Other:

1. Cálculo com geometria analítica, Earl W. Swokowski, MacGraw-Hill,1983.
2. SALAS, HILLE - Calculus, one and several variables, John Wiley Sons, Inc, 1995.
3. APOSTOL, T. - Calculus, Blaisdell, 1967.
4. CAMPOS FERREIRA, J. - Introdução à Análise Matemática, Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, 1982.
5. STEWART, J. - Calculus, 3ª edição, Brooks/Cole Publishing Company, 1995.

This is the program:

1-Sequences of real numbers (main results)
2-Real functions of a real variable: limits and continuity
2.1 Definition of limit
2.2 Properties of limits
2.3 Lateral limits
2.4 Continuity
3- Differentiability of real functions of a real variable
3.5 Definition of derivatives
3.6 Derivation rules
3.7 Derivative of composition of functions
3.8 Derivatives of higher order
4- Applications of the derivative
4.1 Local extrema
4.2 Rolle and Lagrange''''''''s theorems
4.3 Concavity and asymptotes
4.4 Anti derivatives
5- Integral
5.1 Definition of integral
5.2 Properties of integral
5.3 Mean value theorem
5.4 The fundamental theorem of calculus
5.5 Change of variables
5.6 Integration by parts
6- Logarithmic, exponential, and trigonometric functions and their properties
7- Indeterminate forms and L´Hôpital''''''''s rule
8- Improper integrals
9- Taylor''''''''s formula
10- Sequences of real numbers

My math is on really bad shap I really want to master it so based on this would you recommend the Main book -Anton, Bivens, Davis - Calculus, 8th Edition, Wiley, 2005 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know someone who is using Anton right now and she says it's a decent book. It is probably very similar to the Salas text and the Stewart text. Apostol will be more difficult and probably not necessary. You should be fine with Anton.

So what book do you suggest to start learning calculus easly ?

Related to Preparing for Calculus I: Essential Topics & Recommended Books

1. What topics should I review before starting Calculus I?

Before starting Calculus I, it is recommended to have a strong understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and basic functions such as linear, quadratic, exponential, and logarithmic. It is also helpful to have knowledge of limits and derivatives.

2. What are the essential topics that I should focus on in preparation for Calculus I?

The essential topics for preparing for Calculus I include algebraic manipulation, exponentials and logarithms, trigonometry, functions and their graphs, limits, and derivatives. These topics will help build a strong foundation for calculus concepts.

3. What are some recommended books for preparing for Calculus I?

Some recommended books for preparing for Calculus I include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson. These books cover essential topics and provide step-by-step explanations and practice problems.

4. How can I practice for Calculus I?

Practicing is an important part of preparing for Calculus I. You can practice by solving problems from textbooks, online resources, or taking practice quizzes and exams. You can also attend review sessions or seek help from a tutor for additional practice and clarification.

5. Is it necessary to review all the topics before starting Calculus I?

Yes, it is important to review all the essential topics before starting Calculus I. Understanding the fundamental concepts will make it easier to grasp more complex calculus concepts. Skipping or not fully understanding a topic can lead to difficulties in understanding later material.