Preparing for Classical Mechanics: Tips for Success

In summary, the speaker is a student who is concerned about their preparation for a fall class on classical mechanics. They have self-studied a significant amount of material, including differential equations, but have not completed all of the required prerequisite courses. They plan on studying the remaining material before the class starts, but are seeking honest feedback on their readiness for the course. They have also been advised to talk to the instructor or review the course description to get a better understanding of the topics covered. The person they are speaking with agrees that they should reach out to the professor for guidance and expresses concern about their lack of knowledge in vector calculus, which is essential for understanding the first chapter of the textbook.
senatorarmstrong
Hello PF,

I am taking classical mechanics this fall and I am horrified.

I am just not sure if I have the mathematics background for the class. I am still finishing differential equations (about half way done) and I am almost done with calculus 3. The pre-requisite for the class is DE

Essentially, I have gone through all of "Essential Calculus" by James Stewart except for the vector calculus chapter. I know it's an important chapter. I intend on reading up on that last chapter prior to the start of the fall semester. I took a peak into my classical textbook and I saw that green's theorem and strokes' theorem were mentioned in the first chapter. The text I am using for classical is "Classical Dynamics of Particles" and Systems by Thornton.

For differential equations I have only gotten 4 chapters into "Fundamentals of Differential Equations" by Kent Nagle. Essentially, I have studied basic initial value problems, direction fields, separable equations, linear equations, exact equations, Euler's method, special integrating factor. I also studied linear second order equations. This includes homogeneous linear equations, auxiliary equations with complex roots, and non homogeneous equations. I have also deviated from the course slightly to study a chapter on mathematical models and numerical methods for solving first order equations. I did this because I missed physics and this chapter had a lot of it.

I would genuinely appreciate some honest feedback.

Thank you!

Jacob

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you contacted the person who is going to teach the course? He/she is best able to tell you whether you are properly prepared to take it, especially if (as it appears) you have not actually taken the prerequisite math courses, but instead have been self-studying the material.

At the college where I taught, students have to get permission from the instructor to register for a course for which they didn't have the prerequisite courses already.

Just read the class description in the catalog if you cannot talk to the instructor. That will give you some idea what topics are covered, and if you can look at the textbook, you can see the math required there.

I agree that you should talk to the professor of the class to see if you'll be okay. Having self-studied Thornton's Classical Mechanics book, I think you will be okay with your knowledge of differential equations (assuming that the topics you have listed are ones you are well acquainted with). However, you need to be intimately familiar with vector calculus, so I'd be concerned that you haven't covered that yet. Without it, you're going to be lost at chapter 1 (as it seems you've learned).

Related to Preparing for Classical Mechanics: Tips for Success

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces that act on them. It is based on the principles of Newton's laws of motion and is used to describe the behavior of macroscopic objects such as planets, cars, and projectiles.

2. What are some tips for understanding classical mechanics?

Some tips for understanding classical mechanics include practicing problem-solving, breaking down complex systems into simpler parts, and visualizing the motion of objects. It is also important to have a strong understanding of basic mathematical concepts such as vectors and calculus.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in classical mechanics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in classical mechanics, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems. Start with simple problems and gradually increase the difficulty. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or tutor to discuss different approaches and strategies for solving problems.

4. How is classical mechanics used in real life?

Classical mechanics is used in many fields, including engineering, astronomy, and sports. It is used to design structures and machines, predict the motion of objects in space, and analyze the trajectory of projectiles in sports like baseball and golf.

5. What are some common misconceptions about classical mechanics?

One common misconception about classical mechanics is that it only applies to objects on Earth. In reality, it can be used to describe the motion of objects in space as well. Another misconception is that classical mechanics is outdated and has been replaced by newer theories like quantum mechanics. While quantum mechanics does provide a more accurate description of the behavior of particles on a small scale, classical mechanics is still very relevant and widely used in many practical applications.