Preparing for E&M physics (2nd Semester College Physics).

In summary, the person is asking for recommendations for books to supplement their Introduction to Mechanics course. They have used Schaum's and "An Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow which helped them achieve a strong A in the class. They are now looking for recommendations for books to help them with E&M and vector calculus, as they have little to no conceptual experience in these subjects. They are nervous about taking both E&M and vector calculus at the same time, but have been reassured that the second section of Halliday & Resnick is not too difficult with vector calculus.
1stepatatime
Hello everyone, I made a similar post to this last semester when I went onto take my Introduction to Mechanics (1st semester of College Physics) course and asked for some books that will give me some insight to supplement the first few sections of the Halliday and Resnick (1-15, 8th edition) text. I used Schaum's and the "An Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppner and Kolenkow, which gave a deeper insight into basic Newtonian Mechanics and not only did they help, but I ended up enjoying all three. I was able to finish with a strong A in the class (I was extremely excited), and now and am looking forward to the next semester. So much thanks once again for helping me out, :smile:.

So my first question is, aside from Schaum's are there any other recommended texts/guides/books for starting E&M (middle sections of Halliday and Resnick) physics? I'm also at a slight disadvantage since I have little to no conceptual experience with these two subjects, so maybe a recommended book for that as well?

I was doing a little research, and saw that I will encounter vector calculus. I just finished Calc II (earned a solid A as well) which had no vector calculus at all. I realize that this puts me at a disadvantage compared to other students who have completed Calc III, but has anybody found it completely overwhelming to take both at the same time? I expect the math to be rigorous and understand if you don't follow the math, it makes the physics that much (even more) difficult.

Sorry for the long text, but as you can tell I'm nervous (even more this time) about this semester coming up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry too much. The second section of Halliday & Resnick (if that's what you're using second semester as well) isn't too rough with vector calculus. We used it in my high-school AP class and although most of the students were only in Calc I or II (AB or BC) my physics teacher was capable of teaching everyone the necessary math. Additionally, many people (myself included) find Calc III easier to learn than Calc II, because it largely involves applying familiar concepts of derivation/integration to three dimensions.

I would recommend that you continue to use multiple resources to supplement your textbook and class lectures. It's great to see that you found success using Schaum's and the Kleppner and Kolenkow text, so I would definitely recommend continuing to use those resources for E&M physics as well. In addition, you could also look into other textbooks such as "Electricity and Magnetism" by Purcell and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths. These texts are often used in undergraduate E&M courses and could provide you with a different perspective on the material.

Regarding your concern about vector calculus, I would suggest brushing up on your vector algebra skills and familiarizing yourself with basic vector calculus concepts such as gradient, divergence, and curl. You may also find it helpful to review multivariable calculus concepts, such as partial derivatives and line integrals, as they will be important in understanding E&M.

It is definitely possible to take both E&M and vector calculus at the same time, but it may require some extra effort and dedication. I would suggest staying organized and managing your time effectively to ensure you can keep up with both courses. Additionally, don't hesitate to ask for help from your professors or classmates if you are struggling with any concepts.

Overall, the key to success in E&M physics (or any subject) is to stay curious, motivated, and open to learning from multiple sources. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Preparing for E&M physics (2nd Semester College Physics).

What topics should I review before starting E&M physics?

Before starting E&M physics, it is important to review key concepts from introductory physics courses such as mechanics, kinematics, and basic algebra and calculus. A solid understanding of these topics will provide a strong foundation for understanding E&M concepts.

What are some common misconceptions about E&M physics?

One common misconception about E&M physics is that it is only applicable to electricity and magnetism. In reality, E&M principles are used to explain a wide range of phenomena including optics, circuits, and electromagnetic waves. Another misconception is that E&M principles only apply to macroscopic objects, when in fact they are also used to explain the behavior of subatomic particles.

How can I best prepare for the mathematical rigor of E&M physics?

E&M physics requires a strong understanding of calculus, particularly vector calculus. It is important to review basic calculus concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and vector operations before starting the course. Additionally, practicing solving mathematical problems and using mathematical software such as Mathematica or MATLAB can help improve mathematical skills.

What are some helpful study strategies for E&M physics?

Some helpful study strategies for E&M physics include reviewing lecture notes and textbook material regularly, working through practice problems, and seeking help from professors or tutors when needed. It is also beneficial to form study groups with classmates to discuss and solve problems together.

What resources are available for further understanding of E&M physics?

There are many resources available for further understanding of E&M physics, including textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, and physics forums. Additionally, many universities offer tutoring services and office hours with professors for additional help. It is also helpful to attend review sessions and study groups organized by the course instructor.