Preparing for Master: Classical Mechanics Books

• Thread starter Grieverheart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Master
In summary, the individual is preparing for their Master in theoretical physics and is reviewing classical mechanics, classical electrodynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are using "Mechanics: Volume 1 (Course of Theoretical Physics) by L.D. Landau, E.M. Lifgarbagez, J.B. Sykes, and J.S. Bacon" and "Classical Mechanics, 3rd Ed. by Herbert Goldstein, Charles P. Poole Jr., and John L. Safko" for classical mechanics, "Classical Electrodynamics, 3rd Ed. by John David Jackson" for classical electrodynamics, and "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman"
Grieverheart
In preparation for my Master in theoretical physics, I have decided to refresh my memory in classical mechanics, classical electrodynamics and quantum mechanics. In classical mechanics I have started by focusing on "Mechanics: Volume 1 (Course of Theoretical Physics) by L.D. Landau, E.M. Lifgarbagez, J.B. Sykes, and J.S. Bacon" while looking up things that are not clear to me in "Classical Mechanics, 3rd Ed. by Herbert Goldstein, Charles P. Poole Jr., and John L. Safko" . My aim in classical mechanics is to get a deeper understanding from what I was tought in the undergraduate course. That is because I think classical mechanics are somewhat of a predecessor to quantum mechanics and I think it would help me to further understand the philosophy behind it. So I would like to ask if someone has better books to recommend concidering the conditions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would also like to ask if someone has similar books to recommend for classical electrodynamics and quantum mechanics. For classical electrodynamics, a good book to start with is Classical Electrodynamics, 3rd Ed. by John David Jackson. This book provides a comprehensive introduction to the theory of classical electrodynamics, from basic principles to advanced topics. It covers topics such as Maxwell's equations, electric and magnetic fields, and the electromagnetic potential. It also discusses topics such as radiation of electromagnetic waves, relativistic effects, and more. For quantum mechanics, a good book to start with is Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman. This book provides an introduction to quantum mechanics in an easy-to-understand manner. It starts from the basic principles and builds up to more advanced topics such as wave functions, operators, and Hilbert spaces. It also covers topics such as the Schrödinger equation, Dirac notation, and more.

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your desire to refresh your understanding of classical mechanics before starting your Master's program in theoretical physics. It is indeed a crucial foundation for understanding more complex theories like quantum mechanics.

I have personally found "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor to be a very comprehensive and easy-to-understand textbook. It covers all the key concepts and principles of classical mechanics, with clear explanations and examples. Another highly recommended book is "Classical Mechanics: A Modern Perspective" by Vernon Barger and Martin Olsson, which offers a modern approach to the subject with a focus on problem-solving.

In addition to textbooks, I would also suggest supplementing your reading with online resources such as lecture notes and video tutorials. MIT's OpenCourseWare and Khan Academy have excellent resources on classical mechanics that you may find helpful.

Overall, my advice would be to focus on books that provide a solid theoretical foundation while also offering practical applications and problem-solving techniques. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Preparing for Master: Classical Mechanics Books

1. What are some recommended classical mechanics books for preparing for a Master's degree?

Some commonly recommended books for preparing for a Master's degree in classical mechanics are "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein, "Classical Mechanics: Systems of Particles and Hamiltonian Dynamics" by Walter Greiner, and "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor.

2. Do I need to have prior knowledge of classical mechanics before starting a Master's program?

It is generally expected that students entering a Master's program in classical mechanics have a solid understanding of basic concepts such as Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy, and conservation of momentum. It may be helpful to review these concepts before starting the program.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in classical mechanics?

One way to improve problem-solving skills in classical mechanics is to practice solving a variety of problems, including both conceptual and numerical problems. Working with a study group or seeking guidance from professors can also help in developing problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any online resources available for studying classical mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for studying classical mechanics, such as video lectures, interactive simulations, and practice problems. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and The Physics Classroom.

5. What is the best way to approach self-studying classical mechanics?

Self-studying classical mechanics can be challenging, but it can be helpful to start by reviewing the fundamentals and then working through practice problems. It is also important to seek out resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and study groups to supplement your learning and clarify any confusing concepts.