Pressure across multiple closed feedwater heaters

In summary: The Rankine cycle is a type of steam power plant. The cycle starts with the condenser, which removes water vapor from the air. The cycle then goes through one pump, and in series: the steam goes into the closed feedwater heaters, which raises the temperature of the water; the water goes into the open feedwater heater, which heats it to boiling; the boiling water goes into the boiler, which makes steam; and the steam goes into the turbines. The pressure in the cycle is regulated by the pump pressures, which are not given in the documentation. The thermodynamic properties of the cycle are related to the pressure of the steam extraction from the turbines.
unknownowen
Doing a T-s and P-v diagram from a real power plant Rankine cycle.

The cycle, after the condenser, goes through one pump, and then in series:

gland steam condenser
4 closed feedwater heaters
1 open feedwater heater
another pump
2 closed feedwater heater
boiler

Temperature and enthalpy values are given on the cycle diagram. Pump pressures were not given, and can't be found in the documentation.

I'm doing this in EES.

My understanding is that the feedwater line going through the GSC, first 4 closed FWH and into the open FWH should all have the same pressure from the first pump (with some head loss maybe), and then it is pumped to a higher pressure for the last two FWHs.

But when I do a thermodynamic property call on the pressure at each state, it shows that the pressure is increasing.
As an example
after 1st closed feedwater heater
Given values are 163.7 F, 132.7 btu/lb
EES tells me the pressure is 5.178 psi (reasonable as the condenser exit is 1.25 psi)

after 2nd closed feedwater heater
Given 198.6 F, 167.7 btu/lb
EES: 11.2 psi

after 3rd closed feedwater heater
Given 257 F, 226.5 btu/lb
EES: 33.65 psi

and so on. I do notice that it's closely related to the pressure of the steam extraction from the turbines.
After passing through the 1st FWH, heated with steam extracted at 5.88 psi, it's 5.2 psi
After passing through the 2nd FWH, steam extracted at 12.56 psi, it's 11.2 psi
after 3rd FWH, with steam at 37.2 psi, it's 33.7 psi

so the steam extraction pressure seems to have an effect on the closed FWH exit pressure. This makes sense to me for an OPEN FWH but not for a closed one? So what's going on here? How is the pressure being raised? I checked into my thermo textbooks and they say that a closed FWH stays at the same pressure for the feedwater.

Thanks,
Owen

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pumps raise pressure in a line, or a change in elevation. Pressure will drop a long a circuit due to shear forces (friction) with the piping.

Sometimes one many need to determine pressure from the thermodynamic values, e.g., saturated condition (there is a relationship between temperature and pressure), subcooled or superheat - in the case of water/steam.

In a closed fluid circuit, it helps to think of a pump like a battery (or voltage), which increases pressure (analogous to electric potential or emf) and piping and vessels as resistance and resistors.

FAQ: Pressure across multiple closed feedwater heaters

1. What is the purpose of having multiple closed feedwater heaters?

The purpose of multiple closed feedwater heaters is to increase the overall efficiency of the power plant. These heaters are designed to preheat the feedwater, which is used to cool the steam in the power plant, thus reducing the amount of energy needed to heat the water and increasing the overall efficiency of the plant.

2. How does the pressure change across multiple closed feedwater heaters?

The pressure across multiple closed feedwater heaters decreases as the feedwater is heated. This is because as the water is heated, it expands and the volume increases, leading to a decrease in pressure. However, the overall pressure drop is usually small and does not significantly affect the performance of the power plant.

3. Can variations in pressure cause problems in closed feedwater heaters?

Yes, variations in pressure can cause problems in closed feedwater heaters. The heaters are designed to operate within a specific pressure range, and if the pressure exceeds this range, it can cause damage to the equipment and decrease the efficiency of the power plant. Therefore, it is important to carefully monitor and control the pressure in these heaters.

4. How does the pressure affect the efficiency of closed feedwater heaters?

The pressure has a direct impact on the efficiency of closed feedwater heaters. Higher pressure leads to a higher temperature difference between the feedwater and the steam, resulting in more efficient heat transfer. However, if the pressure is too high, it can cause problems as mentioned in the previous question. Therefore, it is important to maintain the pressure within the recommended range for optimal efficiency.

5. Is there a limit to the number of closed feedwater heaters that can be used in a power plant?

There is no specific limit to the number of closed feedwater heaters that can be used in a power plant. However, the design and placement of these heaters should be carefully considered to ensure optimal performance and avoid potential issues such as pressure variations. The number of heaters used will also depend on the size and type of the power plant.

Back