Pressure after Pump with -0.4[bar], 0.8x104[N/m3], 3[m/s], D1/D2=1.4, HP=30[m]

In summary, the given problem involves a pump on a line with P1=-0.4[bar], \gamma=0.8\cdot104[N/m3], V1=3[m/s], and \frac{D_1}{D_2}=1.4. The Bernoulli equation is used to find the velocity after the pump (V2=5.9) and the pressure at that point (P2=2.2\times10^5). The final answer should be 1.87x105[pa]. There was a mistake in the calculation, but the setup and use of gauge pressures in the equation was correct.
Karol

Homework Statement

A pump is on a line. the data are:
P1=-0.4[bar]
[itex]\gamma[/itex]=0.8[itex]\cdot[/itex]104[N/m3]
V1=3[m/s]
[tex]\frac{D_1}{D_2}=1.4[/tex]
HP=30[m] (head of pump)
See attached drawing.

Homework Equations

Bernoulli equation:
[tex]H_1+\frac{V_1^2}{2g}+\frac{P_1}{\gamma}+H_P=H_2+ \frac{V_2^2}{2g} +\frac{P_2}{\gamma}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The velocity after the pump:
[tex]V_2=V_1\frac{D_1^2}{D_2^2}=3\cdot 1.4^2=5.9[/tex]
Bernoulli equation:
[tex]\frac{-0.4\times10^5}{8000}+\frac{3^2}{20}+30=0.3+\frac{5.9^2}{20}+\frac{P_2}{\gamma}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow\frac{P_2}{\gamma}=27.9 \Rightarrow P_2=2.2\times10^5[/tex]
The answer should be 1.87x105[pa]

Attachments

• Pump.png
    Pump.png
    2 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.
The negative pressure for P1 is a clue that you're dealing with gauge pressures. [EDIT: However, it's ok to use gauge pressures in the equation. I think your setup is correct. Check the calculation again.]

Last edited:
so what? i can put, in bernoulli equation, either absolute or gauge pressures, as i understand, if i use the same type on both sides, which i have done here.

That's correct. I think you just made a mistake in carrying out the calculation.

I would first check the calculations and make sure all units are consistent. In this case, the units for pressure should be in [Pa], not [bar]. Additionally, the units for velocity should be in [m/s], not [m].

Assuming the calculations are correct, the answer of 1.87x105 [Pa] seems reasonable and matches the units of [Pa]. However, I would also consider the effect of friction and losses in the system, as the Bernoulli equation assumes ideal conditions. These factors could potentially affect the final pressure after the pump.

Related to Pressure after Pump with -0.4[bar], 0.8x104[N/m3], 3[m/s], D1/D2=1.4, HP=30[m]

1. What is the significance of -0.4 [bar] in the pressure measurement after the pump?

The -0.4 [bar] value indicates that the pressure after the pump is lower than the atmospheric pressure. It could be due to a decrease in the fluid's energy or a loss of pressure in the pipeline.

2. How does the value of 0.8x104 [N/m3] affect the pressure after the pump?

The value 0.8x104 [N/m3] represents the density of the fluid being pumped. It determines the weight of the fluid and can affect the pressure by increasing or decreasing the force exerted on the walls of the pipeline.

3. What is the role of the velocity of 3 [m/s] in the pressure after the pump?

The velocity of 3 [m/s] indicates the speed at which the fluid is flowing through the pipeline. It can impact the pressure by creating friction and turbulence, which can lead to changes in the fluid's energy and the pressure it exerts on the walls of the pipeline.

4. How does the ratio of D1/D2=1.4 affect the pressure after the pump?

The ratio D1/D2=1.4 represents the difference in diameters between two sections of the pipeline. It can affect the pressure by causing changes in the flow rate and velocity of the fluid, leading to variations in pressure.

5. What is the significance of HP=30 [m] in the pressure measurement after the pump?

The HP=30 [m] value indicates the height difference between the pump and the measurement point. This height difference can affect the pressure by creating a difference in the fluid's potential energy, leading to changes in pressure.