Pressure at different points in vacuum system

In summary, the conversation discusses a vacuum chamber that is pumped out by a mechanical pump and fed nitrogen through a mass flow controller and two tubes. The pressure is measured in the 2.75 inch tube and the question is whether the pressure is the same in the 1/4 inch tube. The use of Bernoulli's equation and Knudsen's equation is mentioned, as well as the need for temperature and mean free path length to calculate the flow velocity.
Blueskyflyers
Hi all,

I have a vacuum chamber which is consistently pumped out by a mechanical pump at the downstream end and is fed nitrogen at the upstream end. The path of the nitrogen is as follows: A mass flow controller regulates 150 SCCM flowing at all times. The N2 flows through several feet of 1/4 inch tube. The N2 then enters the reactor which is a 2.75 inch tube. The pressure is read by a gauge in the 2.75 inch tube. The N2 then flows to the pump.

Like this:

MFC (150 SCCM) --> 1/4" tube --> 2.75" tube (w/ pressure gauge) --> pump

My question is, let's say the pressure is read to be 1 torr in the 2.75 inch tube, is the pressure the same in the 1/4 inch tube? I am familiar with the bernoulli equation but unsure if that applies here,

Thanks for any feedback!

Physics news on Phys.org
Blueskyflyers said:
My question is, let's say the pressure is read to be 1 torr in the 2.75 inch tube, is the pressure the same in the 1/4 inch tube? I am familiar with the bernoulli equation but unsure if that applies here,
It applies here, and you can use it to calculate the pressure.

Don't I need to know the velocity of the gas inside the two tubes in order to do the calculation? All I know is 150 SCCM of N2 are being fed into the 1/4" tube

Yes...so you have the volumetric flow rate (standard and pressure) and pipe size...

The main x-factor I see is if the velocity is high enough, there may be losses.

Hi. If you're reading 1 torr in the main tube, that's awfully close to the Knudsen regime. It might already be Knudsen flow - probably you should check.

If it is in the Knudsen regime Bernoulli's equation is no longer applicable and you should use Knudsen's equation, instead.

You also need the temperature to convert volumetric flow rate to flow velocity, but that should not be a major problem.

Mean free path length should be of the order of 50 micrometers in the bigger tube. Didn't calculate it for the smaller tube.

Related to Pressure at different points in vacuum system

1. What is the purpose of measuring pressure at different points in a vacuum system?

The pressure at different points in a vacuum system is measured to ensure that the system is operating at the desired level of vacuum. It also helps to identify any leaks or irregularities in the system.

2. How is pressure measured in a vacuum system?

Pressure in a vacuum system is typically measured using a vacuum gauge, which can be either a mechanical or an electronic device. The most common unit of measurement is torr or millibar.

3. How does pressure change at different points in a vacuum system?

In a vacuum system, pressure decreases as you move closer to the point of vacuum, also known as the pump. The pressure is lowest at this point and gradually increases as you move towards the inlet of the system.

4. What factors can affect pressure at different points in a vacuum system?

The main factors that can affect pressure in a vacuum system include the type and efficiency of the pump, the size and design of the system, and the presence of any leaks or obstructions in the system.

5. How can pressure at different points in a vacuum system be controlled?

To control pressure at different points in a vacuum system, the pump speed can be adjusted, or additional pumps can be added to the system. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the system to ensure that it is functioning properly and to prevent any leaks or blockages.