Pressure - breathing through a reed

• Thread starter skyhigh302
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation discusses two physics problems involving pressure and conversions between units. The first problem involves calculating the maximum depth that Tarzan could hide underwater while breathing through a reed, given the maximum pressure his lungs can manage. The second problem involves converting gauge pressure to actual pressure in four car tires. The individual attempting to solve the problems has attempted to convert units but is unsure of the correct calculations.
skyhigh302
I'm getting stumped by these questions..can someone please help me?

Homework Statement

1. In a movie, Tarzan evades his captors by hiding underwater for many minutes while breathing through a long, thin reed. Assuming the maximum pressure difference his lungs can manage and still breathe is 80.7 mmHg, calculate the deepest in cm that he could have been.

2. The gauge pressure in each of the four tires of an automobile is 240 kPa. What is the actual pressure in each tire in psi?

Homework Equations

1. 760mmHg=33 ft. of water

2. none

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I multiplied 80.7 by 33 and divided it by 760...than after that I converted it but I still get it wrong.

2. I converted the kpa to psi... Isn't that all I need to do? I converted it but I got it wrong..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
skyhigh302 said:
1. I multiplied 80.7 by 33 and divided it by 760...than after that I converted it but I still get it wrong.
That seems right to me. Show your calculation.

2. I converted the kpa to psi... Isn't that all I need to do? I converted it but I got it wrong..
You need to know the meaning of "gauge pressure". Read this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/idegas.html#c5"

Last edited by a moderator:

(80.7*33)/760=3.504ft.

=106.8019cm.

that is the wrong answer...

FAQ: Pressure - breathing through a reed

1. How does a reed affect pressure when breathing?

A reed affects pressure when breathing by creating a smaller opening for air to pass through. This results in an increase in air velocity, which in turn creates a decrease in pressure according to Bernoulli's principle.

2. What is the ideal pressure for breathing through a reed?

The ideal pressure for breathing through a reed varies depending on the individual and the instrument being played. Generally, it is recommended to maintain a moderate amount of pressure to produce a clear and consistent sound.

3. Does the size of the reed affect the pressure required for breathing?

Yes, the size of the reed does affect the pressure required for breathing. A larger reed will require more pressure, while a smaller reed will require less pressure. This is because the size of the reed affects the size of the opening and the amount of air that can pass through.

4. How does the position of the reed on the instrument affect pressure when breathing?

The position of the reed on the instrument can affect pressure when breathing in a few ways. If the reed is placed too low, it may require more pressure to produce a sound. If it is placed too high, it may require less pressure but can also result in a weaker sound. Finding the optimal position for the reed is important for maintaining proper pressure while playing.

5. Are there any techniques to help control pressure when breathing through a reed?

Yes, there are techniques that can help control pressure when breathing through a reed. Some examples include using proper breath support, adjusting the embouchure, and practicing proper posture. It is important for musicians to develop good habits and techniques to maintain consistent and appropriate pressure while playing.

Back