Pressure Difference in Spherical Tank: 1.01bar to 15.65bar

In summary, the thickness of the spherical tank with an inner radius of 1.2m and filled with gas is 0.01093m based on a stress of 80Mpa. The difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the tank is constant as the pressure inside the tank is 15.65bar and the barometric pressure is 1.01bar. However, if the sag weight of the tank is considered, the pressure difference can be calculated using the formula density*g*delta_H where the density is 222kg/m3 and the height difference (delta_H) is 2.4m.
Dell
a spherical tank with an inner radius of 1.2m is filled with gas,
the barometric pressure is 1.01bar
the absolute pressure in the tank is 15.65bar

1)what is the thickness of the tank if the stress in the tank is 80Mpa?
2)what is the difference in the pressure between the top and bottom of the tank?

to find the thickness of the tank i used an analysis on half of the tank
(15.65-1.01)*pi*1.2^2 = 80*pi*(R^2-1.2^2)

from this i found the outer radius R=1.21093m
therefore t=0.01093m

2)what is the difference in the pressure between the top and bottom of the tank?

i think that this is a kind of trick question, i think that the pressure in the tank is constant but i am not sure, just a gut feeling. can someone please verify/correct me, with an explanation. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless it's a really trick question - like you are supposed to consider the sag weight of the tank pressing down on the top of the gas - then it's the same

thanks, can you give me an explanation,?? that's what i thought, just from my logic, but a friend of mine says he thinks it is density*g*2.4 (rho*g*delta_H),

(i had already calculated the density for another part of the question not showed here, was 222kg/m3)

FAQ: Pressure Difference in Spherical Tank: 1.01bar to 15.65bar

1. What is the significance of the pressure difference in a spherical tank?

The pressure difference in a spherical tank is important because it determines the level of force exerted on the walls of the tank. This can affect the structural integrity of the tank and its ability to hold its contents.

2. How does the pressure difference impact the contents of the spherical tank?

The pressure difference can affect the density, volume, and behavior of the contents inside the tank. For example, a higher pressure difference can compress gases and increase the density of liquids, while a lower pressure difference can cause gases and liquids to expand.

3. What factors contribute to the pressure difference in a spherical tank?

The pressure difference in a spherical tank is influenced by several factors, including the amount and type of material inside the tank, the temperature of the contents, and the size and shape of the tank.

4. How is the pressure difference measured in a spherical tank?

The pressure difference in a spherical tank is typically measured using a pressure gauge or transducer. These devices can provide accurate readings of the pressure at different points within the tank.

5. What safety precautions should be taken in relation to the pressure difference in a spherical tank?

It is important to regularly monitor the pressure difference in a spherical tank and ensure it stays within safe operating limits. Additionally, the tank should be designed and maintained to withstand the expected pressure difference and proper safety protocols should be followed when handling and storing materials in the tank.

Back