Pressure Help: Calculating Force in a Multi-Tube System

In summary, In order to find F1/A1 you need to take into account the fact that the water on the right is at a height h above the water on the left.
Rockdog
See the picture.
1 atm = 101300 Pa = 101300 N/m2
density of water = 1000 kg/m3

The tube is filled with water. A1 = 0.05m^2 and A2 = 0.08m^2. Two pistons apply different forces to the water in the tube so that the water in the right side of the tube is a height h = 0.43m above the height of the water in the left side of the tube. If F2 = 138 N what is F1?
I know general equation is F/A equals pressure.

Well, I wanted to do F1/A1=F2/A2... but the fact that both sides of the tube are not level gives me a problem.

It's probably a simple concept, but I'm not seeing it. HOw do I set it up to account for the height=.43m factor?

Attachments

• phys.gif
    phys.gif
    2 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure is equal in both tubes at exactly the same height. THe pressure in the higher tube decreases according to the static fluid pressure formula, P=(rho)gh .

So the pressure at the surface of the right tube is (rho)gh less than the other.

Originally posted by Rockdog
Well, I wanted to do F1/A1=F2/A2... but the fact that both sides of the tube are not level gives me a problem.

It's probably a simple concept, but I'm not seeing it. HOw do I set it up to account for the height=.43m factor?
The pressure in the fluid is the same at all points with the same height. So... set the pressure at the left side equal to the pressure on the right at depth h. Make sense?

What both Rockdog and Doc Al are saying is that the total force on the right (higher) side is F2+ the weight of the additional water. Since the additional height is h and the area is A2 the volume is hA2 and the weight is that times g times the density of water (which I'll call δ): The total Force on the right is F2+ gδhA2. The pressure is then F2/A2+ gδh and that must equal F1/A1.

FAQ: Pressure Help: Calculating Force in a Multi-Tube System

What is multi tube pressure help?

Multi tube pressure help refers to a method used in scientific experiments and industrial processes to measure and control the pressure of multiple tubes simultaneously. It involves using specialized equipment and techniques to monitor and adjust the pressure in each tube.

Why is multi tube pressure help important?

Multi tube pressure help is important because it allows for more accurate and efficient control of pressure in multiple tubes at once. This is essential in experiments and processes where precise pressure levels are critical for obtaining accurate results or maintaining the integrity of the materials being used.

How does multi tube pressure help work?

Multi tube pressure help works by using pressure transducers or sensors to measure the pressure in each tube. This information is then sent to a control system, which can adjust the pressure using valves or other mechanisms. The control system continuously monitors and adjusts the pressure to maintain the desired levels in each tube.

What are the benefits of using multi tube pressure help?

There are several benefits to using multi tube pressure help, including improved accuracy, increased efficiency, and reduced risk of errors. It also allows for better process control and can help save time and resources in experiments and industrial processes.

Are there any limitations to multi tube pressure help?

While multi tube pressure help is a valuable tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for all types of experiments or processes, and it can be costly to implement and maintain. Additionally, it requires specialized equipment and expertise to use effectively.

Back