Pressure in a certain tank is 55.8 Pa

In summary, the conversation is discussing the pressure in a specific tank, which is stated to be 55.8 Pa (abs). However, it is pointed out that this pressure is impossible as it is below a perfect vacuum. The conversation also mentions a pressure of -4.65 psig, which is confirmed to be true. The potential for a -150 kpa gage reading is also mentioned, but it is clarified that this would only be possible if there were two tanks involved.
Jason03
I am trying to figure if there is anything wrong with this statement.

The pressure in a certain tank is 55.8 Pa (abs)

55.8 Pa is about .008 Psi...and the gage pressure would be -100.9 kpa...

...I wouldn't think this condition would be possible

Physics news on Phys.org

Depends on the tank, it means it is under (partial) vacuum.
So ok for a vacuum brake system on a truck - unlikely for a water tank in a house.

I would check they meant abs rather than gauge and they hadn't missed a prefix on the Pa.

The questions are supposed to be answered True or False stating why its false...or how it could be true...and it states the pressure in Pa (abs)...but i did notice one thing I missed...its -55.8 Pa (abs)...so this pressure would be below a perfect vaccumm which doesn't seem possible to me...

At zero pressure using absolute pressure you have a perfect vacuum...so can you go below that?

and the next question says a certain tank has a pressure of -4.65 psig. giving you a absolute pressure of 9.95psi...which I would think would be more of a possiblitly

Last edited:

You can't have -55.8Pa abs, that's less than nothing = silly.
-4.65psig = 9.95psi (abs) is true (give or take the odd least sig figure)

Yea that's what i figured for the 55.8 Pa when I noticed the negative sign...and it would be the same if you had -150 kpa gage which would be -48.9Kpa absolute...which would = silly again...

Gauge could be -150 kpa if it was between two tanks.
So one tank with 1000 kPa and another with 850kPa you could have a gauge reading of -150kPa but the question would have to make that clear.

Yea that makes sense...but the question states that its the pressure of one tank...

Related to Pressure in a certain tank is 55.8 Pa

1. What is the unit of measurement for pressure in the given tank?

The unit of measurement for pressure in this case is Pascals (Pa).

2. How does the pressure in the tank affect its contents?

The pressure in the tank affects its contents by exerting a force on the walls of the tank and the objects inside. This can cause compression or expansion of the contents depending on the type of material and its properties.

3. Is 55.8 Pa considered to be a high or low pressure?

55.8 Pa is considered to be a very low pressure. For comparison, atmospheric pressure at sea level is approximately 101,325 Pa.

4. How is pressure in a tank calculated?

Pressure in a tank is calculated by dividing the force exerted on the walls by the area of the walls. It can also be calculated by dividing the force per unit area.

5. What factors can affect the pressure in a tank?

The pressure in a tank can be affected by factors such as the volume and temperature of the gas or liquid inside, the material and thickness of the tank walls, and any external forces acting on the tank.