Pressure in a Cylindrical Tank

In summary, on January 15, 1919, a cylindrical metal tank storing molasses ruptured in Boston, causing a deadly flood. With a density of 1600 kg/m3, the molasses exerted an outward force on the tank's sides, which can be calculated by integrating the force with respect to depth and using the area of the cylinder. However, the base of the cylinder should not be included in the calculation as it is supported by equal forces from the fluid and the ground. The net outward force caused the tank to rupture.
SeannyBoi71

Homework Statement

On the afternoon of January 15, 1919, an unusually warm day in Boston, a 26.0 m high, 27.4 m diameter cylindrical metal tank used for storing molasses ruptured. Molasses flooded the streets in a 9 meter deep stream, killing pedestrians and horses and knocking down buildings. The molasses had a density of 1600 kg/m3. If the tank was full before the accident, what was the total outward force the molasses exerted on its sides?

Hint: Consider the outward force on a circular ring of the tank wall of height dy and depth y below the surface. Integrate to find the total outward force. Assume that before the tank ruptured, the pressure at the surface of the molasses was equal to the air pressure outside.

Homework Equations

F=[tex]\Delta[/tex]p [tex]\times[/tex] A
A = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r^2 + [tex]\2 pi[/tex]rh
where A is area of the cylinder, h is height, r is radius

The Attempt at a Solution

From the hint my professor gave and from an example he did in class I tried Integrating the force with respect to y, the depth below the the surface, and got (from 0 to h)[tex]\int[/tex]pi gy(2pir^2 + 2 pi r y) dy . I'm pretty sure I did the integration right, but I got an answer 1.42x10^10 and he says the answer should be in Mega-Newtons :S any help??

P.s. sorry if the integral is sloppy, I find it very hard to use the symbols on this text editor :P

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should not include the base of the cylinder. The force is ∫(ρgy dA)
and dA=(2rπ) dy. You wrote y twice.
ehild

OK, I got a much more reasonable answer of 457 MN, but why do I not include the base of the cylinder? There would still be a pressure acting there, would there not?

I understood the problem that the force of the fluid exerted on the side wall was asked. Maybe, I am wrong, then you have to add the term r2 π ρ g h (h is the height). Ask your professor what he meant.

There are two equal forces acting on the base, that from the fluid and the normal force from the ground, and they are equal. These forces compress the base but will not cause rupture. Against the pressure of the fluid on the wall, there is only the atmospheric pressure. The net outward force will stretch the wall out till it ruptures.

ehild

Last edited:
I think you were right the first time. Thank you very much!

Related to Pressure in a Cylindrical Tank

1. What is pressure in a cylindrical tank?

Pressure in a cylindrical tank is the force per unit area exerted by the fluid inside the tank on the walls of the tank. It is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

2. How is pressure in a cylindrical tank calculated?

The pressure in a cylindrical tank can be calculated using the formula P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is the force exerted by the fluid, and A is the cross-sectional area of the tank. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid column.

3. What factors affect pressure in a cylindrical tank?

The pressure in a cylindrical tank is affected by the type and density of the fluid inside, the height of the fluid column, the shape and size of the tank, and the temperature of the fluid. It is also influenced by external factors such as atmospheric pressure and the presence of other objects or obstructions around the tank.

4. How does pressure change as the fluid level in a cylindrical tank changes?

As the fluid level in a cylindrical tank changes, the pressure also changes. When the fluid level increases, the pressure at the bottom of the tank increases due to the increased weight of the fluid. Similarly, when the fluid level decreases, the pressure at the bottom of the tank decreases. The pressure at the top of the tank remains constant regardless of the fluid level.

5. What is the importance of understanding pressure in a cylindrical tank?

Understanding pressure in a cylindrical tank is important for ensuring the structural integrity of the tank and for efficient and safe operation of various industrial processes. It also helps in determining the maximum capacity of the tank and the appropriate material and design to withstand the pressure exerted by the fluid inside.