Pressure increase in a flexible membrane due to an external force.

In summary, an inflatable membrane filled with an ideal gas at 0.3 bar gauge and 40 deg C has a force F acting on the top and is constrained on all sides and bottom. The pressure inside the membrane is determined by the force divided by the area at the top, assuming the membrane is inelastic. This relationship changes if the membrane is elastic, as there will be a decrease in volume inside the membrane.
sitting_duck

Homework Statement

An inflatable membrane is filled with an ideal gas at a pressure of 0.3 bar gauge. The gas is at 40 deg C and the volume of the membrane is 100m^3.

The membrane is constrained on all sides and bottom, and a force of F acts on the top of the membrane.

The material the membrane can be considered non-elastic.

What is the increase in pressure inside the membrane due to the external force?

Homework Equations

Pressure=Force/Area

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not looking for a numerical solution, just clarifying the relationship between the external force and the pressure inside the membrane.

The pressure exerted by the external force is Force/Area...however is this the total contact surface of the membrane or the area of the section the force is being applied to?

If the material is to be considered non-elastic then there can't be an increase in pressure as there isn't any decrease in volume inside the membrane...ideal gas law.
However if the material were elastic, what would the relationship be?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this problem.

Attachments

• pdiag.jpg
    pdiag.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
It just says the membrane is inelastic. i.e. the area is fixed. The volume doesn't have to be fixed...

Check if your picture isn't unnecessarily restrictive

Last edited:
Is it possible to find a realistic solution, asuming the membrane is inelastic?

This isn't really coursework problem, but part of a research project. Therefore I am looking for the best way to model this.

sitting_duck said:
Is it possible to find a realistic solution, asuming the membrane is inelastic?
Yes. I assume the 0.3 bar is the excess pressure over atmospheric. Without the imposed force F, that pressure is balanced by tension in the membrane. When the force is applied, the membrane may collapse somewhat. The inelasticity means that as soon as the membrane starts to collapse there is no longer any tension in it, so the internal pressure is all that's left to balance F and the external atmosphere.

Yes 0.3 bar is the excess pressure over atmospheric. So what you are saying is that the external force plus atmospheric pressure is balancing the internal pressure.

So how do I resolve the external force into a pressure? P=F/A, but which area? The total contact surface area or just the area at the top?

Think of one of these jumping cushions they let toddlers jump around on. If still uncertain, work out your relevant equation making an assumption about the area. Who knows, perhaps you are in luck and the area drops out of the calculations to get the pressure !

You know: small feet on small area or the same weight on a 1 m2 board. Not so deep a dent in the top surface, but it still might lead to the same pressure increase...

sitting_duck said:
Yes 0.3 bar is the excess pressure over atmospheric. So what you are saying is that the external force plus atmospheric pressure is balancing the internal pressure.
Yes
So how do I resolve the external force into a pressure? P=F/A, but which area? The total contact surface area or just the area at the top?
Think about the interface between the force and the membrane. Given the pressure, what else do you need to know to figure out the force the membrane exerts on the load?

If I think of it like a car tyre on the ground. The weight of the car, divided by the number of wheels, subsequently divided by the contact area of the tyres is equal to the pressure of the tyres.

So the pressure inside the membrane is equal to the force divided by the area the force is being applied, i.e the area of the top surface.

sitting_duck said:
If I think of it like a car tyre on the ground. The weight of the car, divided by the number of wheels, subsequently divided by the contact area of the tyres is equal to the pressure of the tyres.

So the pressure inside the membrane is equal to the force divided by the area the force is being applied, i.e the area of the top surface.

Convinces me.

FAQ: Pressure increase in a flexible membrane due to an external force.

1. What is pressure increase in a flexible membrane?

Pressure increase in a flexible membrane refers to the increase in force per unit area on a membrane when an external force is applied to it. This can cause the membrane to stretch and bulge, resulting in an increase in pressure in the area where the force is applied.

2. How does an external force affect the pressure in a flexible membrane?

An external force applied to a flexible membrane causes the molecules in the membrane to move closer together, resulting in a decrease in the membrane's volume and an increase in its pressure. This is due to the transfer of energy from the external force to the molecules in the membrane.

3. What factors influence the amount of pressure increase in a flexible membrane?

The amount of pressure increase in a flexible membrane depends on the magnitude of the external force applied, the size and flexibility of the membrane, and the properties of the material the membrane is made of, such as its elasticity and thickness.

4. Is there a limit to how much pressure can be applied to a flexible membrane?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of pressure that can be applied to a flexible membrane before it ruptures or breaks. This limit is determined by the strength and elasticity of the membrane, as well as the amount of force applied.

5. How is the pressure increase in a flexible membrane measured?

The pressure increase in a flexible membrane can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as pressure gauges or manometers. These instruments measure the force per unit area exerted on the membrane and provide a numerical value for the pressure increase.

Back