Pressure of piston in a cylinder containing gas, find heat (Q)

In summary, the gas absorbs heat Q over a period of time until it reaches a temperature of 2T and pressure of p. The final height of the piston is H some multiple of h, which is also the final temperature and pressure.
Violagirl

Homework Statement

A cylinder of cross-sectional A is filled with N ideal gas molecules at temperature T and pressure p, and a piston of mass m seals the gas in the cylinder with a frictionless seal, as shown on the figure attached. The trapped column of gas has an initial height h. The piston and cylinder are surronded by air at pressure patem. A) How much heat Q does the gas absorb if it ends up at temperature 2T and pressure p after expanding and pushing the piston to a final height H? B) What is the final height H of the piston as some multiple of h. Note that the piston is at rest when the heating starts and is at rest when it reaches its final height H. Your answer to (A) should be expressed in terms of the quantities h, g, A, m, and patm. Please be careful when calculating the work done by the expanding gas on its surrondings.

Homework Equations

Change in internal energy (U) equation: ΔU=Uf-Ui

Internal energy equation to heat (Q) and work (W): U = Q-W

Force of a gas equation to pressure (p) and cross-sectional area (A): F=P*A

Work equation to pressure (p) times the change in volume (ΔV): W = PΔV

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have an answer for part A:

I drew in the forces on the attached document.

For finding U:

U = 3/2NKBT

Initial T=T

Final T=2T

So for U, we have:

ΔU=Uf-Ui =

3/2NKB2T-3/2NKT = 3/2NKBT = U

F=P*A: -mg+p=patm*A

V=Δh(?) = H-h

So:

Q=U+W:

Q= (3/2NKBT+mg+p-patm*A*(H-h)

I'm guessing this isn't completely correct but if someone could let me know, that would be great. Otherwise, I have no idea how to do the second part to this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops, forgot to include the attachment! It is now attached to this post.

Attachments

• Pressure problem Physics.jpg
    Pressure problem Physics.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 410
Ok here, much bigger.

Attachments

• Pressure problem Physics.jpg
    Pressure problem Physics.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 445

Related to Pressure of piston in a cylinder containing gas, find heat (Q)

1. What is the relationship between the pressure of a piston and the heat in a cylinder containing gas?

The pressure of a piston in a cylinder containing gas is directly proportional to the heat in the cylinder. This means that as the pressure increases, the heat in the cylinder also increases, and vice versa.

2. How do you calculate the heat (Q) in a cylinder containing gas when the pressure of the piston is known?

The calculation of heat (Q) in a cylinder containing gas can be done using the formula Q = P * V, where P is the pressure of the piston and V is the volume of the gas in the cylinder.

3. Can the pressure of a piston in a cylinder containing gas be changed without affecting the heat in the cylinder?

No, the pressure of a piston in a cylinder containing gas is directly linked to the heat in the cylinder. Any change in pressure will result in a change in heat, and vice versa.

4. How does the volume of gas in a cylinder affect the pressure of the piston and the heat in the cylinder?

The volume of gas in a cylinder has an inverse relationship with the pressure of the piston and the heat in the cylinder. This means that as the volume of gas increases, the pressure and heat decrease, and vice versa.

5. What factors can impact the pressure of a piston in a cylinder containing gas and the resulting heat in the cylinder?

The pressure of a piston in a cylinder containing gas can be impacted by factors such as the amount of gas present, the temperature of the gas, and the volume of the cylinder. These factors can also affect the resulting heat in the cylinder.