Pressure reported from a water line, gauge or absolute?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the difference between gauge pressure and absolute pressure when measuring pressure in a water line. The solution suggests that 1630 kPa is in absolute pressure and the question is asking if this is always assumed unless otherwise specified. The conversation also mentions the use of units such as psia and psi for absolute pressure. The final statement clarifies that the question was not criticizing, but rather just seeking clarification.
EastWindBreaks

Homework Statement

upload_2017-10-26_4-7-1.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the pressure in a water line is in gauge pressure, but the solution suggests that 1630 kPa is in absolute pressure, do we always assume absolute pressure unless otherwise specified?

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-26_4-7-1.png
    upload_2017-10-26_4-7-1.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 703
Physics news on Phys.org
How does the solution imply gauge or absolute? It's simply asking you to change units isn't it?

CWatters said:
How does the solution imply gauge or absolute? It's simply asking you to change units isn't it?
I thought psia means psi as in absolute pressure? if it is, then I would need to add 1630 kpa( if its gauge pressure) to atmospheric pressure, which would be 246.42 psi+14.7 psi, but the correct answer is just simply 246.42 psia.

EastWindBreaks said:
I thought psia means psi as in absolute pressure? if it is, then I would need to add 1630 kpa( if its gauge pressure) to atmospheric pressure, which would be 246.42 psi+14.7 psi, but the correct answer is just simply 246.42 psia.
A pressure gauge typically gives the pressure in a water line as gauge pressure. So, you are absolutely right in your criticism of question. I would have given the same answer you gave.

Likes EastWindBreaks
Chestermiller said:
A pressure gauge typically gives the pressure in a water line as gauge pressure. So, you are absolutely right in your criticism of question. I would have given the same answer you gave.
haha, I am not sure if i was criticizing the question or just confused, thank you for clarification!

I didn't notice the "psia" next to the answer box. The question itself just says psi.

Likes EastWindBreaks

Related to Pressure reported from a water line, gauge or absolute?

1. What is the difference between gauge pressure and absolute pressure?

Gauge pressure refers to the pressure measured above atmospheric pressure, while absolute pressure refers to the pressure measured relative to a perfect vacuum. Gauge pressure is typically used for practical purposes, while absolute pressure is used in more precise scientific calculations.

2. How is pressure reported in a water line?

Pressure in a water line is typically reported in units of pounds per square inch (psi). This unit is commonly used in the United States and other countries that use the Imperial system. In countries that use the metric system, pressure may be reported in units of kilopascals (kPa) or bars.

3. What can cause fluctuations in water line pressure?

Fluctuations in water line pressure can be caused by a variety of factors, including changes in demand for water, leaks or blockages in the water line, or changes in the elevation of the water source. Changes in pressure can also be a result of faulty pressure regulators or water pumps.

4. How is pressure measured in a water line?

Pressure in a water line is typically measured using a pressure gauge, which is a device that converts pressure into an electrical signal or mechanical movement. The gauge is connected to the water line and displays the pressure in units of psi, kPa, or bars.

5. Can pressure in a water line be too high?

Yes, pressure in a water line can be too high, which can lead to damage to pipes, appliances, and fixtures. This is why pressure regulators are often installed in water lines to maintain a safe and consistent pressure. High pressure can also result in water waste and higher utility bills.