Pressure Vessel Design Question

In summary, the U-1 does not specify if a pressure vessel is rated for vacuum, but the SIS for the column may provide information. The SIS is not a code document, but the U-1 is. If the pressure vessel is from the 1950s, it may not have been designed for vacuum. Testing should only be done on designated components or test units, and under controlled conditions.
serenahalterman
Hello,

I am replacing an existing ASME Section VIII Division 1 column. The U-1 states it is designed to 240psig @ 650degF, but does not say anything about being designed for vacuum conditions. The SIS for the column states that it is safe to operate under full vacuum. The SIS is not a code document, but the U-1 is. This vessel is from the 1950s. Does anyone know if it didn't use to be a requirement to specify if a pressure vessel was rated for vacuum on the U-1? I have run into this before with a different column so am wondering which document to trust, the U-1 or the SIS.

Thank you for your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I use to make component parts for heat exchangers. All our testing was done with water/air pressure and compliant to ASME code U-1a. If its a system that was designed with support baffles it may be rated for vacuum also. We never did any vacuum testing but we did a lot of pressure testing and in 5 years I only ever seen one failure and it was catastrophic, it was an outer seam tie in that blew and we were trying to make it fail. I think it was well over 2,000 psi at failure if my memory serves me correctly. It pealed it open like a tin can and damaged the blast barriers and rattled the entire building.

https://www.asme.org/about-asme/who-we-are/standards/asme-data-report-forms

I also found this It may be useful.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=258334

Last edited:
Pressure testing with a gas should be avoided whenever possible due to the enormous stored energy released on failure. It is also expensive because you must compress a significantly greater volume of air.

Be safe by using cold water instead. If necessary for physical support, also submerge the vessel being tested in water. Pressure rise during the test is rapid and controlled with little energy being required. The only way you may know when the vessel fails is when the internal pressure suddenly drops. You may need to have a coloured dye in the vessel so you can find the crack. While such a failure is destructive, it is usually repairable.

Testing should only be done on componet parts or designated test units. Under controlled conditions and in compliance with state laws. This being a repair as long as its repaired to code the inspector that signs of on it will probably make any determination on that. I have built them new but i have no idea what is required for repair testing if any. And at 240 psi I am not sure if you have to do a test or have it sent out for xray. But I am thinking U-1a standards will apply.

Last edited:

Related to Pressure Vessel Design Question

1. What is a pressure vessel?

A pressure vessel is a container used to hold gases or liquids at a pressure higher than atmospheric pressure. It is designed to withstand the internal pressure and other external forces acting on it.

2. What are the different types of pressure vessels?

The three main types of pressure vessels are:

• Thin-walled pressure vessels: used for storing gases under high pressure.
  • Intermediate pressure vessels: used for storing liquids under medium-high pressure.
  • High-pressure vessels: used for storing gases or liquids under very high pressure.

3. How is a pressure vessel designed?

The design of a pressure vessel involves calculations and considerations of various factors such as internal and external pressure, material properties, temperature, and safety regulations. Computer-aided design (CAD) software is often used to assist in the design process.

4. What are the safety measures for pressure vessel design?

The safety measures for pressure vessel design include ensuring proper material selection, adequate wall thickness, proper welding techniques, and regular inspections and maintenance. Design codes and standards, such as ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, also provide guidelines for safe design and operation of pressure vessels.

5. What are the common materials used for pressure vessel construction?

The materials used for pressure vessel construction depend on the type of pressure vessel and the substances it will contain. Some common materials include carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminum, and various alloys. The selection of materials also depends on factors such as temperature, pressure, and corrosion resistance.