Pressure wave through liquid in pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of determining the shape of a pressure wave traveling through a pipe with a changing cross-sectional area. There is no simple formula for this calculation, but it can be accurately modeled using a wave equation and specialized software programs.
g_mogni
Hello,

I'm a bit rusty with my fluid mechanics and can't seem to find the answer anywhere. Basically I have a pressure wave traveling in a liquid at the speed of sound through a pipe of the shape shown in the attachment (basically a semicircle of constant cross sectional area and then a cone of increasing area. At point A I know the wave has planar wavefront. Is there any formula to work out the shape of the wavefront at the end of the cone at point B, which I suppose will have a slight spherical curvature due to the changing cross-sectional size of the pipe?

Thanks

Attachments

• wave.png
    wave.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't really "a formula" that you can use to determine this by just plugging some numbers in. You could solve the system pretty accurately by modeling it with a wave equation and letting the wave propagate through your geometry to see how it ends up. That's quite a bit more involved than just using a formula to spit out an answer, though.

Do you happen to know if a software like COMSOL or other similar programs can perform such analysis numerically?

Thanks

Related to Pressure wave through liquid in pipe

What is a pressure wave through liquid in a pipe?

A pressure wave through liquid in a pipe is a type of mechanical wave that travels through a liquid medium, causing a temporary increase or decrease in the pressure of the liquid. This wave can be created by various sources such as pumps, valves, or sudden changes in the flow rate.

What is the cause of a pressure wave through liquid in a pipe?

The cause of a pressure wave through liquid in a pipe can be attributed to a sudden change in the flow rate of the liquid. This can be due to a sudden opening or closing of valves, changes in pump speed, or any other disturbances in the flow. The sudden change in the flow rate creates a ripple effect, resulting in a pressure wave.

How does a pressure wave through liquid in a pipe affect the flow of liquid?

A pressure wave through liquid in a pipe can cause fluctuations in the flow rate of the liquid. This can lead to a temporary increase or decrease in the pressure of the liquid, which can affect the stability and efficiency of the flow. In extreme cases, it can also cause damage to the pipes or other components of the system.

How can pressure waves through liquid in a pipe be controlled?

Pressure waves through liquid in a pipe can be controlled by implementing various measures such as installing surge tanks, using pressure relief valves, or using surge suppressors. These measures help to absorb or dissipate the energy of the pressure wave, preventing any damage to the system.

What are the applications of studying pressure waves through liquid in a pipe?

Studying pressure waves through liquid in a pipe is essential for various engineering applications, such as designing and operating pipelines, water supply systems, and hydraulic systems. It also helps in understanding the behavior of liquid flow and maintaining the stability and efficiency of the system.