Pressurization in an enclosed space

• Thread starter Daimou43
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary: Would that also cause a pressure buildup?In summary, pressure is exerted by the surrounding environment on an object due to its size, shape, and/or composition. If the object is not in equilibrium with the pressure, the pressure will cause the object to deform.
Daimou43
I have a question regarding the calculation of pressure. Not quite homework but just curious on how things work.

If I had an enclosed 18 mL (1 mol H2O) container that is indestructible/incompressible filled with water, and boil it so that all the water turns into water vapour, I get 22.4 L of gas, or would the pressure force the gas to remain in liquid form in some way or another, or would I get some combination of the two?

I'd also assume there'd be a large amount of pressure acting on the container as well due to expansion and whatnot.

I'm not so sure the Ideal gas law applies in such a situation, as the gas is produced from a liquid and the other values don't quite apply... (as temperature increases, the pressure increases linearly?)

Am I looking for a case of thermal expansion rather than gaseous expansion, or do both apply? I'm also unsure what else is relevant for this situation.

Thanks in advance!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Read up on phases and phase diagrams.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/phaseeqia/phasediags.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
The water would not boil. It would reach critical point at about 374 °C where it becomes a supercritical fluid, neither gas nor liquid.

The 22.4L/mol thing is only applicable to standard temperature and pressure. You have neither.

And yes, if the container does not give, the liquid will become supercritical.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

However, it seems that the premise of my question is faulty.

I'm more interested in how much pressure would be acting upon the container due to the heating... How would that be calculated?

Also, how would the behaviour change if say, instead of just increasing the temperature, I changed the internal properties of the water itself, such as converting that container into an electrolytic cell and performing electrolysis (somehow)?

Related to Pressurization in an enclosed space

1. What is pressurization in an enclosed space?

Pressurization in an enclosed space refers to the process of increasing or decreasing the air pressure within a confined area. This is commonly done in aircraft cabins, submarines, and other enclosed environments to maintain a safe and comfortable atmosphere for occupants.

2. Why is pressurization important in enclosed spaces?

Pressurization plays a vital role in maintaining a safe and habitable environment for individuals in enclosed spaces. It helps to regulate the air quality, temperature, and humidity levels, as well as prevent the intrusion of harmful gases or particles from the external environment.

3. How is pressurization achieved in an enclosed space?

Pressurization can be achieved through various methods, such as using mechanical systems that pump in or exhaust air, or using airtight seals and ventilation systems. In aircraft, pressurization is typically controlled by an air conditioning and pressurization system that continuously monitors and adjusts the air pressure.

4. What are the potential risks of inadequate pressurization in an enclosed space?

Inadequate pressurization can lead to a variety of health and safety risks for occupants. In aircraft, it can cause altitude sickness, ear pain, and even loss of consciousness. In submarines or other enclosed environments, it can lead to reduced oxygen levels, buildup of carbon dioxide, and increased risk of fire or explosion.

5. How is pressurization regulated in different types of enclosed spaces?

The regulation of pressurization in enclosed spaces varies depending on the type of environment. In aircraft, it is regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in the United States and the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) internationally. In other enclosed spaces such as submarines or underground structures, it is regulated by specific safety standards and protocols set by the relevant governing bodies.

Back