Prime-length cycles and their powers

• Thread starter zooxanthellae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cycles
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that every power of a prime-length cycle is also a cycle. The original problem is approached by considering the possibility that a power of a cycle is not itself a cycle and showing that this would require the original cycle to not have a prime length. The concept of "order" is introduced and it is argued that this may be a necessary concept to use in order to prove the statement. A formula for the powers of a cycle is suggested and it is shown that this formula holds true by induction, using the primality of the cycle's length.
zooxanthellae

Homework Statement

Suppose we have cyclic, prime-length [tex]\alpha = (a_{1}a_{2}...a_{s}).[/tex] Prove that every power of [tex]\alpha[/tex] is a cycle.

Homework Equations

None I can think of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel that I understand some of the intuition behind this problem. If any power of a cycle is not itself a cycle then it must either be the identity or the product of disjoint cycles. The only possibility here, then, would be a product of disjoint cycles. However, this seems to require that the original cycle not have a prime length, since one of the disjoint cycles must have an interval equivalent to a factor of the length of the original cycle.

That was pretty garbled, so I'll use an example. Let [tex]\beta = (b_{1}b_{2}...b_{9}).[/tex] Here [tex]\beta^3[/tex] is a product of disjoint cycles [tex](b_{1}b_{4}b_{7})(b_{2}b_{5}b_{8})(b_{3}b_{6}b_{9}),[/tex] but note that this required an interval of 3, a factor of 9, in order for one disjoint cycle to "hit" the last element. Therefore any power of a prime-length cycle should be a cycle, since it can't be a product of disjoint cycles.

But I'm kind of lost as to how to make this rigorous.

Physics news on Phys.org
64 reviews and no responses. Is my statement of the problem confusing? Perhaps my use of the term "cyclic" is wrong? I used it as a shorter way of saying "is a cycle".

To elaborate on the difficulty I'm facing with making my proof rigorous: I'm unsure as to how to treat a general prime case. For example, if I assume that [tex]\alpha^k[/tex] is a power that isn't cyclic, then I might show that it cannot be a product of disjoint functions. However, I don't see how to write those disjoint functions and derive a contradiction due to uncertainty of what k is.

So let's say that [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a prime cycle. Let's say that [itex]\alpha^k[/itex] is the product of disjoint cycles? Then what is the order of [itex]\alpha^k[/itex]??

micromass said:
So let's say that [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a prime cycle. Let's say that [itex]\alpha^k[/itex] is the product of disjoint cycles? Then what is the order of [itex]\alpha^k[/itex]??

Thanks for the response. My book doesn't include any definition for the order of a permutation that is the product of disjoint cycles. Length is just defined as the number of elements in a permutation. Looking around online, the order seems to be the least common multiple of the lengths of the disjoint cycles, which would make a prime order impossible. But this raises uncomfortable questions about the distinction between "length" and "order"?

zooxanthellae said:
Thanks for the response. My book doesn't include any definition for the order of a permutation that is the product of disjoint cycles. Length is just defined as the number of elements in a permutation. Looking around online, the order seems to be the least common multiple of the lengths of the disjoint cycles, which would make a prime order impossible. But this raises uncomfortable questions about the distinction between "length" and "order"?

The order is defined as the least number k such that [itex]\alpha^k=1[/itex]. Surely you must have seen this?
And indeed, the order is the least common multiple of the lengths of a disjoint cycles.

But what uncomfortable questions are there?

micromass said:
The order is defined as the least number k such that [itex]\alpha^k=1[/itex]. Surely you must have seen this?
And indeed, the order is the least common multiple of the lengths of a disjoint cycles.

But what uncomfortable questions are there?

I'm in Chapter 8 of Pinter's "Abstract Algebra". Order has been defined as the number of elements in a group, length has been defined as the number of elements in a cycle. But beyond that, I'm fairly sure there's nothing else so far. So bringing in these new definitions seems like "cheating".

zooxanthellae said:
I'm in Chapter 8 of Pinter's "Abstract Algebra". Order has been defined as the number of elements in a group, length has been defined as the number of elements in a cycle. But beyond that, I'm fairly sure there's nothing else so far. So bringing in these new definitions seems like "cheating".

OK, I see, order of elements is introduced in chapter 10.

The only method I see that does not introduce order of elements is by brute force. That is, given a cycle of length p

[tex]\alpha=(\alpha_1~\alpha_2~...~\alpha_p)[/tex]

Compute directly now the powers of [itex]\alpha[/itex]. That is, try to find a formula and prove it by induction.

So, try to form the first few powers, for example

[tex]\alpha^2=(\alpha_1~\alpha_3~...~\alpha_{p-1}~\alpha_2~...~\alpha_p)[/tex]

and see if you come up with something nice. (hint: thinking of the integers modulo p will be interesting here).

My attempt at this is long, case-based and messy so I won't post it here, but I believe the crux of it is to use the fact that p is prime to go from a single (i.e. not disjoint and therefore a cycle) expression for case n to a likewise non-disjoint expression for case n+1 and therefore show that every power is a cycle?

zooxanthellae said:
My attempt at this is long, case-based and messy so I won't post it here, but I believe the crux of it is to use the fact that p is prime to go from a single (i.e. not disjoint and therefore a cycle) expression for case n to a likewise non-disjoint expression for case n+1 and therefore show that every power is a cycle?

Are you sure you didn't make it harder than it needed to be. The formula I was looking for is

[tex]\alpha^k=(\alpha_k~\alpha_{2k}~\alpha_{3k}~... ~\alpha_{pk})[/tex]

where the coefficient k, 2k, 3k, etc. are evaluated (mod p).
I don't think this formula is hard to show by induction?

The crux is that the cycle [itex]\alpha^k[/itex] is indeed of length p, and this uses the primality of p.

Related to Prime-length cycles and their powers

1. What are prime-length cycles?

Prime-length cycles refer to a sequence of numbers where the length of the cycle is a prime number. This means that the cycle cannot be broken down into smaller cycles and the numbers in the sequence will repeat in the same order after a certain number of iterations.

2. How are prime-length cycles related to their powers?

Prime-length cycles have a unique property where the powers of the numbers in the cycle also form a cycle. For example, in a cycle of length 5, the powers of the numbers will also form a cycle of length 5.

3. What is the significance of studying prime-length cycles and their powers?

Prime-length cycles and their powers have various applications in mathematics and cryptography. They are also used in the generation of random numbers and have implications in understanding the structure of certain mathematical objects.

4. Can prime-length cycles be found in all number sequences?

No, prime-length cycles can only be found in certain number sequences such as prime numbers, Fibonacci sequence, and Lucas sequence. These sequences have specific properties that allow for the formation of prime-length cycles.

5. Is there a way to predict the length of a prime-length cycle?

No, the length of a prime-length cycle cannot be predicted beforehand as it is dependent on the properties of the number sequence. However, there are some mathematical techniques that can be used to identify and analyze prime-length cycles.