Prime Obsession or Millennium problems?

• Thread starter 2sin54
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, The conversation discusses the topic of purchasing a book on mathematics and asks for guidance on which one to choose between "The Millennium Problems" by Keith J. Devlin and "Prime Obsession" by John Derbyshire. The second person mentions that they have not read "The Millennium Problems" but found "Prime Obsession" to be surprisingly good, despite the author's background in conservative politics. They mention that the book is not aimed towards the general public and requires some knowledge of calculus and complex analysis. The book alternates between history/biography and math, but the typesetting is not ideal.
2sin54
Hello, people. So I am considering getting a book on mathematics (of the "popular book"-ish realm). However, I do not want it to be too much aimed towards the general public (something like Kaku or Hawking would write in Physics). I want to buy one of these two and I am asking for guidance which one is more worthy of getting (if you have read both):

1) The Millennium Problems: The Seven Greatest Unsolved Mathematical Puzzles of Our Time by Keith J. Devlin

2) Prime Obsession by John Derbyshire

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read the first one, but Prime Obsession was surprisingly good considering the author's day job is writing conservative political opinions. It is definitely not aimed at the general public - you need to know calculus and a bit of complex analysis to make any sense of the mathematical chapters. (As I recall, his chapters alternated between history/biography and math.) It's not a fully rigorous treatment, and the author glosses over some important details, but it's a nice overview. My only complaint was the typesetting. I think the author used Microsoft Word instead of Latex, and it shows.

FAQ: Prime Obsession or Millennium problems?

1. What is the Prime Obsession or Millennium Problems?

The Prime Obsession or Millennium Problems are a set of seven unsolved mathematical problems that were identified by the Clay Mathematics Institute in 2000. These problems are considered to be the most important and difficult problems in mathematics, and a solution to any one of them would bring significant advancements to the field.

2. Who identified the Prime Obsession or Millennium Problems?

The Prime Obsession or Millennium Problems were identified by the Clay Mathematics Institute, a non-profit organization based in the United States. The institute was founded by businessman Landon T. Clay with the goal of promoting research and education in mathematics.

3. How much is the prize for solving a Millennium Problem?

The Clay Mathematics Institute has offered a prize of one million dollars for the solution to each of the seven Millennium Problems. However, this prize has only been claimed for one problem so far, the Poincaré Conjecture, which was solved by Russian mathematician Grigori Perelman in 2002.

4. Are there any criteria for solving a Millennium Problem?

Yes, the solutions to the Millennium Problems must be published in a reputable peer-reviewed journal and be accepted by the mathematical community for at least two years before the prize can be claimed. Additionally, the solution must be original and correct.

5. How many Millennium Problems have been solved?

As of now, only one Millennium Problem has been solved, which is the Poincaré Conjecture. However, some progress has been made on the other problems, and there are ongoing efforts to find solutions to all seven problems. It is important to note that the solutions to these problems may not be found for many years, or even decades.