Prime X 's question at Yahoo Answers (Eigenvalues of AB and BA)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, it is proven that if A and B are n-square matrices, then AB and BA have the same eigenvalues. This is shown by considering block matrices and using the well-known property of determinants. The proof also shows that every common eigenvalue has the same multiplicity for both AB and BA.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Prime X,

Suppose $A,B \in\mathbb{F}^{n\times n}$ ($\mathbb{F}$ field) and consider the block matrices $$C=\begin{bmatrix}{\lambda I}&{A}\\{B}&{I}\end{bmatrix}\;,\quad D=\begin{bmatrix}{-I}&{0}\\{B}&{-\lambda I}\end{bmatrix}\quad (I\in\mathbb{F}^{n\times n})$$ Then, $$CD=\begin{bmatrix}{\lambda I}&{A}\\{B}&{I}\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}{-I}&{0}\\{B}&{-\lambda I}\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}{-\lambda I+AB}&{-\lambda A}\\{0}&{-\lambda I}\end{bmatrix}\\DC=\begin{bmatrix}{-I}&{0}\\{B}&{-\lambda I}\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}{\lambda I}&{A}\\{B}&{I}\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}{-\lambda I}&{- A}\\{0}&{BA-\lambda I}\end{bmatrix}$$ According to a well-known property $\det(CD)=\det(DC)$ so, $$\det (AB-\lambda I)(-\lambda)^n=(-\lambda)^n\det(BA-\lambda I)$$ Equivalently $$(-\lambda)^n[\det (AB-\lambda I)-\det (BA-\lambda I)]=0$$ But $\mathbb{K}[\lambda]$ is an integral domain so, $$\det (AB-\lambda I)=\det (BA-\lambda I)$$ That is, $AB$ and $BA$ have the same characteristic polynomial (as a consequence the same eigenvalues)

Remark: The above proof also shows that every common eigenvalue has the same multiplicity (with respect to $AB$ and $BA$).

Related to Prime X 's question at Yahoo Answers (Eigenvalues of AB and BA)

1. What is the difference between the eigenvalues of AB and BA?

The main difference between the eigenvalues of AB and BA is that they may not necessarily be the same. This is because the order in which we multiply matrices matters, and the resulting eigenvalues may be affected by this order.

2. Can the eigenvalues of AB and BA be equal?

Yes, it is possible for the eigenvalues of AB and BA to be equal. This can happen if the matrices A and B commute, meaning they can be rearranged in any order without changing the result. In this case, the eigenvalues of AB and BA will be the same.

3. How can I determine the eigenvalues of AB and BA?

To find the eigenvalues of AB and BA, you can use the formula λ(AB) = λ(A)λ(B) and λ(BA) = λ(B)λ(A), where λ(A) and λ(B) are the eigenvalues of matrices A and B, respectively. Alternatively, you can find the eigenvalues by first finding the eigenvalues of A and B, then multiplying them together for AB and BA.

4. Are there any special cases where the eigenvalues of AB and BA are the same?

One special case where the eigenvalues of AB and BA are the same is when A and B are symmetric matrices. In this case, the eigenvalues of AB and BA will be equal because both matrices have the same set of eigenvectors.

5. What is the significance of the eigenvalues of AB and BA?

The eigenvalues of AB and BA can provide important information about the properties of the matrices A and B. For example, if the eigenvalues are real and positive, then the matrices are positive definite. Additionally, the eigenvalues can be used to determine the stability of a dynamical system represented by the matrices.