Primigenial ring ideals question

• Thread starter learningphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary: Thanks Hurkyl!:redface: I see my mistake now... yes, the book gives the definition of prime ideal with elements... ie ab is an element of a prime ideal, then a is an element of b or b is an element of the ideal...There is a theorem afterwards that says if we have two ideals a and b such that ab is a subset of a prime ideal p, then a is a subset of p or b is a subset of p...
learningphysics
Homework Helper
I'm going through this proof in Allan Clark's Elements of Abstract Algebra to prove that a primigenial ring is a Dedekind Domain.

A primigenial ring is one in which every proper ideal can be written as a product of proper prime ideals.

There's a step in the proof that I'm not able to understand...

We're given p an invertible proper prime ideal in a primigenial ring R. a is an element in R - p.

He proves that p + (a) = p^2 + (a)

then...
[tex]p = p \cap (p^2 + (a))[/tex]... no problem here...

then the next step:

[tex]p \cap (p^2 + (a)) \subset p^2 + (a)p[/tex]. I'm not sure how he does this step... I'd appreciate any help or hints. Thanks a bunch!

Physics news on Phys.org
learningphysics said:
[tex]p \cap (p^2 + (a)) \subset p^2 + (a)p[/tex]. I'm not sure how he does this step... I'd appreciate any help or hints. Thanks a bunch!
Well, you can always try the direct approach: what is the form of a general element of p^2 + (a)? And which of those are in [itex]p \cap (p^2 + (a))[/itex]?

Hurkyl said:
Well, you can always try the direct approach: what is the form of a general element of p^2 + (a)? And which of those are in [itex]p \cap (p^2 + (a))[/itex]?

Ah... thanks Hurkyl. I think I have it now, but I'd appreciate if you just check my reasoning...

a general element of p^2 + (a) will be of the form p1p2 + ra, where r is any element of the ring...

so if p1p2 + ra is an element of the ideal p... and since p1p2 is an element of the ideal p, then ra must be an element of the ideal p (since the ideal is an additive group)...

ra belongs to p. so r belongs p:(a) which is an ideal...

(a)*[p:(a)] is a subset of the ideal p.

since p is prime and (a) is not a subset of p, p:(a) must belong to p. so r is an element of p and so:

p1p2 + ra is an element of p^2 + (a)p...

learningphysics said:
Ah... thanks Hurkyl. I think I have it now, but I'd appreciate if you just check my reasoning...

a general element of p^2 + (a) will be of the form p1p2 + ra, where r is any element of the ring...
Not quite: recall that the product IJ doesn't consist only of numbers of the form ij, but also of all sums of such numbers.

But that's no biggie here; it's good enough to simply write an element as q + ra, where q is in p^2.

ra belongs to p. so r belongs p:(a) which is an ideal...
It's somewhat quicker to just invoke the definition of p being prime. I'm always hazy on the properties of the colon ideal, but this part of your argument sounds plausible.

Thanks again Hurkyl! I'm learning a lot from this thread...

From your post I take it that we can go directly from:

ra belongs to p, and since p is prime r must belong to p? how does one justify this step... I'm guessing it's something very trivial that I'm missing...

The definition of prime ideal I've learned is that if a product of two ideals belongs to a prime ideal... then at least one of them belongs to the prime ideal... that's why I brought up the colon ideal...

perhaps there is another equivalent definition of prime ideal?

learningphysics said:
Thanks again Hurkyl! I'm learning a lot from this thread...

From your post I take it that we can go directly from:

ra belongs to p, and since p is prime r must belong to p? how does one justify this step... I'm guessing it's something very trivial that I'm missing...

The definition of prime ideal I've learned is that if a product of two ideals belongs to a prime ideal... then at least one of them belongs to the prime ideal... that's why I brought up the colon ideal...

perhaps there is another equivalent definition of prime ideal?
The statement I usually see as the definition involves elements -- but it's easily translated into the corresponding principal ideals. Since [itex](r) (a) \subseteq p[/itex]...

Hurkyl said:
The statement I usually see as the definition involves elements -- but it's easily translated into the corresponding principal ideals. Since [itex](r) (a) \subseteq p[/itex]...

cool. Thanks Hurkyl!

:redface: I see my mistake now... yes, the book gives the definition of prime ideal with elements... ie ab is an element of a prime ideal, then a is an element or b is an element of the ideal...

there is a theorem afterwards that says if we have two ideals a and b such that ab is a subset of a prime ideal p, then a is a subset of p or b is a subset of p...

I was mixing up this theorem with the actual definition of prime ideal...

Related to Primigenial ring ideals question

1. What is a Primigenial ring ideal?

A Primigenial ring ideal is a type of ideal in abstract algebra that is used to study the structure of rings. It is a subset of the ring that contains elements that can be multiplied by any element in the ring to produce another element in the ideal.

2. How are Primigenial ring ideals different from other types of ideals?

Primigenial ring ideals are unique in that they are defined using the concept of primality. This means that every element in the ideal is either prime or can be factored into a product of primes. This is different from other types of ideals, such as principal ideals, which are generated by a single element.

3. What is the significance of studying Primigenial ring ideals?

Studying Primigenial ring ideals allows us to better understand the structure of rings and their properties. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and algebraic geometry.

4. Can Primigenial ring ideals be used to classify rings?

Yes, Primigenial ring ideals can be used to classify rings into different types and categories. For example, a ring with only one Primigenial ring ideal is called a Dedekind domain, while a ring with infinitely many Primigenial ring ideals is called a Krull domain.

5. Are there any open questions or unsolved problems related to Primigenial ring ideals?

Yes, there are still many open questions and unsolved problems related to Primigenial ring ideals. For example, it is still unknown whether every ring has a Primigenial ring ideal, and if not, what conditions are necessary for a ring to have one. Additionally, there is ongoing research on the properties and applications of Primigenial ring ideals in different areas of mathematics.