Principle Fibre: Definition & Examples

In summary, the term "typical fiber" in reference to a fiber bundle is related to the property of "local triviality." This means that each fiber in the bundle is homeomorphic or diffeomorphic to a fixed topological space, and therefore, this space is considered the "typical fiber." This term is often used in mathematical articles and can be found in the "Theoretical Background" section.
RoboticMezon
Hello everyone!

I'm fully aware of the complete and utter stupidity if this question, but I am also aware about how unable I am to find any text in which this is explained so that even yours truly can understand. (In fact, I have found NOTHING so far...another proof of my lack of mental processes?...Who knows! :) )

What is a fibre bundle's 'typical fibre'?

Am I right in inferring from the name that it is one fibre of the bundle which 'represents', as it were, all the rest? Something like a representation element of an orbit in a group? Or am I more stupid than I had originally thought? (I would find that amazing...I doubt you can get stupider... :) :) )

(Seriously, at our uni they toss up new terms without thinking that they should, perhaps, maybe, be explained.)

Thanks in advance!

4R

Physics news on Phys.org
RoboticMezon said:
Hello everyone!

I'm fully aware of the complete and utter stupidity if this question, but I am also aware about how unable I am to find any text in which this is explained so that even yours truly can understand. (In fact, I have found NOTHING so far...another proof of my lack of mental processes?...Who knows! :) )

What is a fibre bundle's 'typical fibre'?

Am I right in inferring from the name that it is one fibre of the bundle which 'represents', as it were, all the rest? Something like a representation element of an orbit in a group? Or am I more stupid than I had originally thought? (I would find that amazing...I doubt you can get stupider... :) :) )

(Seriously, at our uni they toss up new terms without thinking that they should, perhaps, maybe, be explained.)

Thanks in advance!

4R

not sure what a typical fiber means - but all of the fibers are homeomorphic -

Where did you read this?

Well, do you know the definition of a fiber bundle? The typical fiber is related to the property going under the name "local triviality". Let [tex]E\stackrel{\pi}{\rightarrow}M[/tex] be a bundle over the manifold [tex]M[/tex], and let [tex]U\subset M[/tex] be an open set. Furthermore let [tex]V[/tex] be a (fixed) topological space (vectorspace for vectorbundles).

The bundle is locally trivial if there is a homeomorphism [tex]\phi:\pi^{-1}(U)\rightarrow U\times V[/tex] such that
FiberBundle-01.png

commutes. So each fiber is in some sense "identical" to the topological space [tex]V[/tex], and therefore it is the "typical fiber".

element4 said:
Well, do you know the definition of a fiber bundle? The typical fiber is related to the property going under the name "local triviality". Let [tex]E\stackrel{\pi}{\rightarrow}M[/tex] be a bundle over the manifold [tex]M[/tex], and let [tex]U\subset M[/tex] be an open set. Furthermore let [tex]V[/tex] be a (fixed) topological space (vectorspace for vectorbundles).

The bundle is locally trivial if there is a homeomorphism [tex]\phi:\pi^{-1}(U)\rightarrow U\times V[/tex] such that
FiberBundle-01.png

commutes. So each fiber is in some sense "identical" to the topological space [tex]V[/tex], and therefore it is the "typical fiber".

that's what I said.

element4 said:

FiberBundle-01.png

There is a typo here, replace [tex]V[/tex] with [tex]F[/tex], and then [tex]F[/tex] is the typical fiber.

lavinia said:
that's what I said.

Sorry, I wasn't contradicting you. Just giving a few more details, in order to show precisely what people call the typical fiber.

element4 said:

FiberBundle-01.png

Yes, I'm aware of the definition, thank you. :)

Actually, its used in an article I've read in the very beginning under the 'Theoretical Background' section; right in the second sentence of this section. I think I can give you the link:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.4662"

Thanks a bunch for your help!

4R

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that the fibers are sets of the form [itex]\pi^{-1}(b)[/itex], where b is a member of the base space. The definition implies that every fiber is homeomorphic or diffeomorphic to F. (Homeomorphic if we're dealing with topological spaces, diffeomorphic if we're dealing with manifolds). So if anything deserves to be called "the typical fiber", it's F.

Fredrik said:
Note that the fibers are sets of the form [itex]\pi^{-1}(b)[/itex], where b is a member of the base space. The definition implies that every fiber is homeomorphic or diffeomorphic to F. (Homeomorphic if we're dealing with topological spaces, diffeomorphic if we're dealing with manifolds). So if anything deserves to be called "the typical fiber", it's F.

*headdesk*

I just knew it was going to be 'trivial'. :redface:

Thank you so much for your help!
It's a clear as day now, or would be if it wasn't raining...
:smile:

FAQ: Principle Fibre: Definition & Examples

What is the definition of Principle Fibre?

Principle Fibre refers to the main structural component of a material or substance that provides its strength and durability. It is the primary component that determines the properties and characteristics of a material.

What are some examples of Principle Fibres?

Examples of Principle Fibres include collagen fibers in connective tissue, cellulose fibers in plants, and keratin fibers in hair and nails. These fibres are responsible for the strength, flexibility, and structure of these materials.

How is Principle Fibre different from other types of fibres?

Principle Fibre is different from other types of fibres because it is the primary component of a material, whereas other types of fibres may be secondary components. Principle Fibres also have a major influence on the properties of a material, while other types of fibres may have a smaller impact.

What factors affect the properties of Principle Fibres?

The properties of Principle Fibres can be affected by various factors, such as the composition, arrangement, and orientation of the fibres, as well as external factors such as temperature, humidity, and stress.

Why is understanding Principle Fibres important in science?

Understanding Principle Fibres is important in science because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of materials and substances. This knowledge can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, biology, and materials science, to develop new and improved materials with specific properties and applications.

Back