Principle of Superposition in Circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses using the principle of superposition to solve for Ix in a circuit with a voltage source and a current source. The current divider rule is proven and used to solve the first circuit, while the second circuit is solved by summing the resistances in series. The importance of using the correct sign for current values is emphasized.
zealeth

Homework Statement

Assume that V = 4.8V and I = 3.2mA. Find Ix in the figure using the principle of superposition.

Steif.ch03.p64.jpg

Homework Equations

V=IR
Kirchhoff's Current Law
Kirchhoff's Voltage Law
Total response = ∑responses from each individual source

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I'm having trouble in simply solving for I_x in each circuit, but if you see any other mistakes please let me know.

Replacing the voltage source with a short circuit, we have:

x8zXRc4.png

Not really sure how to go about solving this one. If I had to guess, I would right a KCL at the bottom node such that:

I + the current across the 2k and 1k Ohm resistors = I_x

Replacing the current source with an open circuit, we have:

62FLHTV.png

Summing the resistances now in series and solving for i_total:

4k * i_total = 4.8

i_total = .0012 A

If I'm not mistaken, this should be equal to I_x_2.

I_x = I_x_1 + I_x_2 = ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the current divider rule? It is helpful in solving the first circuit.

Rather than just looking up current divider, try to prove it using the result

Let me help by proving the current divider rule for your circuit, then you can proceed to finish your superposition.

The way your circuit is set up (the first one), you have a current source feeding current into two branches right. OK, those branches are in parallel. The voltage across them is equal so we can write the equations:

1K(I1) = 3K(I2)

You can realize that I2 is just I total minus I1. You know I total and the resistances so from here you have Ix1

Does this make sense?

Likes 1 person
I am familiar with the current divider rule and attempted to use it earlier (forgot to mention in post) , but it gave me the wrong answer so I did not think that was how to solve it. The mistake I made was using 0.0032 as a positive number, which gave me the incorrect result. Looking at your post proving the current divider, I was able to correct my mistake and solve the problem. Thanks.

Last edited:
Happy to hear that.

You're welcome

Related to Principle of Superposition in Circuits

What is the Principle of Superposition in Circuits?

The Principle of Superposition in Circuits states that the total current or voltage in a circuit is equal to the algebraic sum of individual currents or voltages caused by each source acting separately.

How does the Principle of Superposition work?

To apply the Principle of Superposition, each source is considered separately while all other sources are turned off or replaced by their internal resistance. The individual currents or voltages caused by each source are then calculated and added together to find the total current or voltage in the circuit.

What are the limitations of the Principle of Superposition in Circuits?

The Principle of Superposition can only be applied to linear circuits, where the relationship between current and voltage is linear. Additionally, it assumes that the circuit parameters (resistance, capacitance, etc.) do not change when sources are turned off or replaced.

How is the Principle of Superposition useful in circuit analysis?

The Principle of Superposition is useful for simplifying complex circuits and calculating individual currents or voltages in a circuit. It allows for the analysis of a circuit with multiple sources without having to consider their interactions.

Are there any real-world applications of the Principle of Superposition in Circuits?

Yes, the Principle of Superposition is commonly used in electronic circuit design and analysis. It is also used in the field of medical imaging, where multiple X-ray images can be combined using the principle to create a more detailed and accurate image of the body.