Principle & Working of U-Tube Manometer

In summary, a U-tube manometer is a device used to measure gas pressure in a closed environment. It works by comparing the pressure of the gas inside the environment to atmospheric pressure through the height difference of the liquid in the U-shaped tube. This is based on Archimedes' principle, which states that the upward buoyant force on an object in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. The manometer is commonly used in experiments and industrial settings to accurately measure gas pressure.
pras_quantum
please explain the principle and working of a normal U-tube manometer

Physics news on Phys.org
pras_quantum said:
Did you find a perfect answer to your "charging a capacitor" problem first?

yes,i referred to my friend..i got to know that..it was easy when he explained how it was charged practically and discharging also..but can u answer me this question,why its used and principle?

Hi there,

A U-tube manometer is used to measure gas pressure inside an environment. The environment connected to one side of the manometer will push the liquid down, forcing the other side to lift. From the height difference between the two sides, you can measure the pressure compared to atmospheric pressure (on that particuliar moment).

Cheers

pras_quantum said:
yes,i referred to my friend..i got to know that..it was easy when he explained how it was charged practically and discharging also..but can u answer me this question,why its used and principle?
Explain it under the "charging a capacitor" head then.

pras_quantum said:
and explain achimedes principle

pras_quantum said:

What is the context of your questoin? Is it for schoolwork? Are you supposed to turn in a write-up of how it works? Did you try searching about it at wikipedia.org?

FAQ: Principle & Working of U-Tube Manometer

1. What is a U-Tube Manometer?

A U-Tube Manometer is a device used to measure pressure differences between two points in a fluid. It consists of a U-shaped tube partially filled with a liquid, typically mercury, and connected to the two points where the pressure is being measured.

2. How does a U-Tube Manometer work?

The U-Tube Manometer works based on the principle of fluid displacement. When pressure is applied at one end of the tube, the liquid in the tube will move to the other end, creating a difference in the liquid height between the two ends. This difference in height can be measured and used to calculate the pressure difference.

3. What are the applications of a U-Tube Manometer?

A U-Tube Manometer is commonly used in various industries, such as HVAC, chemical, and pharmaceutical, to measure pressure differences in pipes, tanks, and other equipment. It is also used in laboratory experiments and in monitoring and controlling processes.

4. What are the advantages of using a U-Tube Manometer?

One of the main advantages of a U-Tube Manometer is its simplicity and low cost. It does not require any external power source and is easy to set up and use. It also has a high accuracy and can measure both positive and negative pressure differences.

5. How do you read the measurements on a U-Tube Manometer?

To read the measurements on a U-Tube Manometer, you need to measure the difference in height between the two ends of the liquid column. This can be done using a ruler or a scale. The difference in height can then be converted to the desired units of pressure using the appropriate formula.