Principles of conservation of energey

In summary, the two trains, with masses of 50 tonnes and 30 tonnes respectively, collide head on with a velocity of 60 m/s and 0 m/s. After the collision, they lock together and their velocity is 37.5 m/s. The loss of kinetic energy is 33.75 MJ.
djstar

Homework Statement

A train of mass 50 onnes traveling at 6o m/s collides head on into a stationary train which has a mass of 30 tonnes. If the two vehicles lock together after impact, calculate using the principles of conservation of momentum, what will be

a) their velocity after impact?
b) the loss of kenitec energy

i have had a attempt at A but i do no no where to start with B or what formula to use. this is my attempt at A)

Homework Equations

M1V1+M2V2=MfVf
M1= 50000kg
M2= 30000kg
V1 = 60m/s
V2 = 0 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

MfVf = (50000*60)+(30000*0) = 3000000
3000000/ (50000+30000) = 37.5m/s

Could some one please help with Part b and help me with what formula to use

Physics news on Phys.org
Although you titled this "conservation of energy" I assume you realize that there is NO conservation of energy here. There is, however, conservation of momentum and that is what you used, correctly, to find the speed after the collision.

The kinetic energy before the collision is (1/2)mv^2= (1/2)(50)(60)^2. The kinetic energy after the collision is (1/2)(50+ 30)(37.5)^2= (1/2)(80)(37.5)^2. Subtract the energy after the collision from the kinetic energy after the collision to find the loss of kinetic energy.

hi hallsofivy thank you for the very prompt reply.

sorry about the title, that was a typo.

ive manged to work out before the collision as 90 MJ and after as 56.2 5MJ so the answer is 33.75 MJ?

Related to Principles of conservation of energey

1. What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. Why is the principle of conservation of energy important?

This principle is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It also allows us to make informed decisions about energy use and conservation.

3. How does the principle of conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

In everyday life, the principle of conservation of energy applies to activities such as cooking, driving a car, and turning on a light switch. In all of these cases, energy is transferred or converted from one form to another.

4. Are there any exceptions to the principle of conservation of energy?

No, the principle of conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been observed to hold true in all physical systems. However, in certain situations, it may seem like energy is being created or destroyed, but this is due to our limited understanding of the system.

5. How does the principle of conservation of energy relate to other laws of physics?

The principle of conservation of energy is closely related to the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the total energy of an isolated system remains constant. It is also connected to other fundamental laws such as the law of conservation of mass and the law of conservation of momentum.