Probabilities with Chips and Bowls

In summary, the question is asking for the conditional probability of 2 red chips and 3 blue chips being transferred from bowl 1 to bowl 2, given that 1 blue chip was drawn from bowl 2. This can be calculated using the formula P(2r3b | 1b) = ( P(2r3b) * P(1b | 2r3b) ) / ( P(2r3b) * P(1b | 2r3b) + P(4r1b) * P(1b | 4r1b) + P(3r2b) * P(1b | 3r2b) + P(
wown
A better way to do Probabilities with Chips and Bowls?

Question:
bowl 1 contains 6 red chips and 4 blue chips. 5 chips are selected at random and placed in bowl 2. then 1 chips is drawn from bowl 2. Relative to the hypothesis that this chip is blue, find the conditional probability that 2 red chips and 3 blue chips are transferred from bowl 1 to 2.

Solution:
in lamens terms, the question is asking "what is the probability of 2red and 3 blue chips, given 1 blue" or P(2r3b | 1b)

p(2r3b | 1b) = ( P(2r3b) * P(1b | 2r3b) ) / ( P(2r3b) * P(1b | 2r3b) + P(4r1b) * P(1b | 4r1b) + P(3r2b) * P(1b | 3r2b) + P(1r4b) * P(1b | 1r4b))

Ok great. so i calculate all that, i get 5/14... but these questions take FOREVER! my question: is there a quicker way to do this? I thought about the following:
The denominator in the above equation should all add up to P(of picking any 5 random chips with at least 1 blue), let's say P(A). So does it not make sense to say P(A) = 1 - P(no blue chips) = 1 - P(5red).

P(5red) = 1/42
so P(A) = 41/42 which is not equal to the denominator from above (which btw is 6/15).

Any insight?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To compute the probability that the chip drawn from the second bowl is blue, compute it as if you drew it from the first bowl. The intermediate step of transferring chips to a second bowl shouldn't affect the bottom line probability of getting a blue chip on one draw.

so you are implying that the probability is .4?

The probability that the chip drawn from the bowl 2 is blue = 0.4.

The calculation wouldn't be so simple if you had to draw more than 1 chip from bowl 2.

I would suggest using a different approach to calculate the conditional probability in this scenario. Instead of calculating the probability of each possible combination of chips and their respective colors, you can use a simpler formula known as Bayes' Theorem. This theorem allows you to calculate the conditional probability by using the prior probability and likelihood of the event.

In this case, the prior probability would be the probability of selecting 5 random chips with at least 1 blue, which is 41/42 as you have correctly calculated. The likelihood would be the probability of selecting 2 red and 3 blue chips from bowl 1, given that 1 blue chip was selected from bowl 2. This can be calculated by multiplying the probabilities of each event, which would be (6/10)*(5/9)*(4/8)*(3/7)*(7/14) = 1/42.

Using Bayes' Theorem, the conditional probability can be calculated as follows:

P(2r3b | 1b) = (P(1b | 2r3b) * P(2r3b)) / P(A)

= (7/14 * 1/42) / (41/42)

= 5/14

This method is much quicker and more efficient than calculating each possible combination separately. It also allows you to easily adjust for different scenarios, such as changing the number of chips or bowls involved. I hope this helps you in your future calculations!

Related to Probabilities with Chips and Bowls

1. What is the probability of drawing a red chip from a bowl with 10 red chips and 20 blue chips?

The probability of drawing a red chip from this bowl is 10/30 or 1/3. This means there is a 33.33% chance of selecting a red chip.

2. Is it possible to calculate probability with replacement?

Yes, it is possible to calculate probability with replacement. This means that after each draw, the selected chip is put back into the bowl before the next draw. The probability for each draw will remain the same.

3. Can probability be greater than 1?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1. It represents the likelihood of an event occurring and can range from 0 to 1, with 0 meaning the event is impossible and 1 meaning the event is certain to occur.

4. How does the number of chips in a bowl affect the probability of selecting a certain color chip?

The number of chips in a bowl does affect the probability of selecting a certain color chip. As the number of chips in the bowl increases, the probability of selecting a specific color decreases.

5. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual results from experiments or observations. It is often used when it is not possible to calculate theoretical probability.

Back