Probability coin and die Question

• Thread starter mikebrisingr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses a game of Coin and Die and the probability of winning. The game involves flipping a coin and rolling a die, with certain conditions leading to a win. The concept of conditional probability and independence is mentioned, and the idea of listing all possibilities is suggested as an alternative approach.
mikebrisingr
I started by looking at the probability of any given situation and maybe making a tree but my professor hasn't explained things very well and most the notes I see online are overwhelming

A Game of Coin and Die. This game is played with a fair coin and a die. First player flips a coin. If it turns out head(H), the player proceeds with tossing a die. If it turns out tail(T), the player proceeds with flipping a coin for the second time. The player wins if it gets head on the first tossing and 6 on the second or tails on both flips of coin. What is the probability of winning a game?

Is it simply the probability of getting heads and multiplied by the probability of getting a 6?

(Mentor note: thread moved here from General Math hence no template)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the concept of conditional probability and independence? That is, ##\mathbb{P}(A|B) = \frac{\mathbb{P}(A\cap B)}{\mathbb{P}(B)}##.

Vaguely, I believe he mentioned it but I couldn'tt understand his accent

Read this: http://www.math.uah.edu/stat/prob/Conditional.html It's really very easy if you grasp the concept of conditional probability.

If you do not want to do this, then you'll need to enumerate all the possibilities. One of the possibilities is (heads, 1). Can you list the others?

I got it! Thank you!

Related to Probability coin and die Question

1. What is a probability coin and die question?

A probability coin and die question is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the likelihood of certain outcomes when flipping a coin or rolling a die.

2. How do you calculate the probability of a coin flip?

The probability of a coin flip can be calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes (e.g. heads) by the total number of possible outcomes (e.g. heads or tails). This can be expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual results from conducting experiments and may differ from theoretical probability.

4. How do you find the probability of rolling a certain number on a die?

The probability of rolling a certain number on a die can be calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes (e.g. rolling a 3) by the total number of possible outcomes (e.g. rolling any number from 1 to 6). This can also be expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

5. Can probability be used to predict the outcome of a coin or die question?

No, probability cannot predict the exact outcome of a single coin flip or roll of a die. It can only give an estimate of the likelihood of a certain outcome based on mathematical calculations and past results.