Probability density,cumulative function problem

In summary, the given problem is to find the value of c in a probability density function for a telephone service center, as well as the cumulative distribution function. The method used to find c is incorrect, as it results in multiple mistakes. The correct value of c is 6/5, and the simplified form of f(x) is (3/5)*(2/5)^x-1.
atrus_ovis

Homework Statement

Prob. density function is given below, representing probability of answer in a telephone service center
f(x) = c 2x-1/ 5x

where X is the random variable representing tries (phone calls).
a)find c
b)find the cumulative distribution function
i think i can solve the rest if i get through the first obstacles.

Homework Equations

The sum of a discrete density function from -inf to inf equals 1

The Attempt at a Solution

X is discrete, and the sum from -inf to inf must equal 1.
I sum up from 0 to inf (as negative phone calls don't make sense. is that right to do?) and come up with c=3/4
SUM c 2x+1 /5x , from 0 to inf
=lim, k->inf of SUM (1/3)x , x from 0 to k
=((c/2) * 1-(1/3)inf + 1 )/(2/3) = 1
=>c=4/3

So f is now simplified to 1/3x+1

Is the above method correct? Sadly, i then take the sum from 0 to inf to verify that it equals 1, but it doesn't.
How can i find the cumulative distribution?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
atrus_ovis said:

The Attempt at a Solution

X is discrete, and the sum from -inf to inf must equal 1.
I sum up from 0 to inf (as negative phone calls don't make sense. is that right to do?) and come up with c=3/4
SUM c 2x+1 /5x , from 0 to inf
=lim, k->inf of SUM (1/3)x , x from 0 to k
=((c/2) * 1-(1/3)inf + 1 )/(2/3) = 1
=>c=4/3

So f is now simplified to 1/3x+1

You seem to have multiple mistakes here. The sum is

[tex]c \sum_{x=0}^\infty \frac{2^{x-1}}{5^x} = \frac{c}{2} \sum_{x=0}^\infty \left(\frac{2}{5}\right)^x[/tex]

Also [tex]2/5\neq 1/3[/tex]. You want to apply the formula for a geometric sum directly to the expression with 2/5 in it.

Ah, ok.
Then c = 6/5, and f(x) is simplified to (3/5 )* (2/5)x

Related to Probability density,cumulative function problem

What is a probability density function (PDF)?

A probability density function (PDF) is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of a continuous random variable. It gives the relative likelihood that the variable will take on a specific value within a given range.

What is a cumulative distribution function (CDF)?

A cumulative distribution function (CDF) is a mathematical function that describes the probability that a continuous random variable will take on a value less than or equal to a given value. It is the integral of the probability density function (PDF) and represents the cumulative probability distribution of the variable.

How do you calculate the area under a probability density curve?

The area under a probability density curve is equal to the probability of the variable falling within a specific range of values. To calculate this area, you can use integration techniques to find the area under the curve between two given values.

What is the relationship between a probability density function and a cumulative distribution function?

A probability density function (PDF) and a cumulative distribution function (CDF) are closely related. The CDF is the integral of the PDF, and the derivative of the CDF is equal to the PDF. In other words, the PDF gives the rate of change of the CDF, and the CDF gives the total probability of the variable falling within a certain range.

Why is the area under a probability density curve always equal to 1?

The area under a probability density curve is always equal to 1 because it represents the total probability of the variable taking on any value within its range. Since the probability of the variable taking on any possible value must be equal to 1, the area under the curve must also be equal to 1.