Probability difficult bowl of balls

Wow, what a waste of time. Well, at least you got some practice with Bayes' theorem!In summary, the bowl contains w white balls and b black balls initially. One white ball is randomly selected and returned to the bowl along with n additional balls of the same color. Then, another ball is randomly selected and observed to be black. The probability that the first ball selected was white is \frac{w}{w + b - n}. However, it was later clarified by the professor that the problem was written inaccurately and the correct probability is \frac{w}{w + b}.
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

A bowl contains w white balls. One ball is selected at random from the bowl; its color is noted, and it is returned to the bowl along with n additional balls of the same color. Another single ball is randomly selected from the bowl (now containing w+b-n balls) and it is observed that the ball is black. Show that the (conditional) probability that the first ball is selected was white is [itex] \frac{w}{w+b-n} [/itex]

(this is exactly how it is written by hand by my prof)

Homework Equations

I'm using "n" in between A and B as "intersect"

Well, probability of a, given b, is P(A|B)= [P(AnB)]/[P(B)]
I think (for independent events) P(AnB)=P(A)xP(B)

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess to me it should be w plus b PLUS n, not minus. And I'm not sure how to use conditional probability here, it looks more independent to me. Halp!

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely you mean that there are w + b + n balls in the bowl the second time, since you added n of them.

That's what I'm ?? about, but the problem is definitely w+b-n.

What if there were w+b-2n balls, then when you add n, you have w+b-n. ??

no, it's a typo from that book you are checking all the problems here.

Ordinarily I'd agree but this is not from the book, it's hand written problem made by my prof. But he has made mistakes too, so typo is highly possible. I think ill email him.

Hmm, I think I see another typo.
You write that initially the bowl contains w white balls.
How could a black ball then be drawn?

Btw, the equation I think you will need is Bayes' theorem:

188019d193258f9ba310da979906d24f.png

I like Serena said:

Good call on the Bayes theorem, it's one of the key concepts of the homework. As for the balls, I think he's trying to get you to figure out what was in the bowl retroactively.

I like Serena said:

Cause it had b black balls.

I give up! :wink:

This is not a probability problem, it's a find-the-typo problem, or a think-outside-of-the-box problem (since apparently we have to make weird assumptions that the bowl initially contains w white balls accompanied by an unknown number of other balls).

I know, right? Well I'll update if prof gives a reasonable answer to my email.

ArcanaNoir said:

Homework Statement

A bowl contains w white balls. One ball is selected at random from the bowl; its color is noted, and it is returned to the bowl along with n additional balls of the same color. Another single ball is randomly selected from the bowl (now containing w+b-n balls) and it is observed that the ball is black. Show that the (conditional) probability that the first ball is selected was white is [itex] \frac{w}{w+b-n} [/itex]

(this is exactly how it is written by hand by my prof)

Homework Equations

I'm using "n" in between A and B as "intersect"

Well, probability of a, given b, is P(A|B)= [P(AnB)]/[P(B)]
I think (for independent events) P(AnB)=P(A)xP(B)

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess to me it should be w plus b PLUS n, not minus. And I'm not sure how to use conditional probability here, it looks more independent to me. Halp!

If W1 = {first ball is white} and B1 = {first ball is black}, what are P{W1} and P{B1}? Now, if {W2} and {B2} refer to the second ball, what are P{B2|W1}, P{B2|B1}, etc? You want P{W1|B2} = P{W1 & B2}/P{B2}. Can you get P{W1 & B2} in terms of P{W1}, P{B1}, P{B2|W1} and P{B2|B1}? Do you know how to get P{B2}?

By the way: after the first draw the number of balls *is* b + w + n, if your description of the experiment is correct.

RGV

Okay, the prof just emailed me back. It is correct as w+b-n. It's due tomorrow. Can I get some more help on it?

ILS, why do you say Baye's theorem is [tex] P(A|B)= \frac{P(B|A)P(A)}{P(B)} [/tex] ?

My book says [tex] P(A|B)= \frac{P(B|A)P(A)}{P(A)P(B|A)+P(B)P(B|A)} [/tex]

ArcanaNoir said:
ILS, why do you say Baye's theorem is [tex] P(A|B)= \frac{P(B|A)P(A)}{P(B)} [/tex] ?

My book says [tex] P(A|B)= \frac{P(B|A)P(A)}{P(A)P(B|A)+P(B)P(B|A)} [/tex]

Because the denominator of both fractions is the same.

How's that?

look at the formula for total probability in your book. It should be in the same section as Bayes's Theorem.

I tried Baye's theorem and I got w/(w+b)
This seems kind of reasonable. Since the adding of the n balls occurs AFTER the drawing of the white ball. Now I see why there is -n. But I still have to get that for an answer.

Did you ask your professor to clarify how it could be w+b-n? And for that matter, what does b stand for? Are we supposed to assume it's the number of black balls?

Arg. After all that, during class today he admits that he wrote the problem inaccurately! Forget it.

lol.

Related to Probability difficult bowl of balls

What is the concept of "Probability difficult bowl of balls"?

"Probability difficult bowl of balls" refers to a scenario in which a bowl contains a mix of balls of different colors or numbers, and the probability of selecting a specific color or number is difficult to determine due to the varying quantities of each type of ball in the bowl.

How do you calculate the probability of selecting a specific ball from a "Probability difficult bowl of balls"?

To calculate the probability of selecting a specific ball from a "Probability difficult bowl of balls", you would need to know the total number of balls in the bowl and the number of balls of the specific color or number you are trying to select. The probability would then be the number of desired balls divided by the total number of balls in the bowl.

What factors affect the probability of selecting a specific ball from a "Probability difficult bowl of balls"?

The factors that affect the probability of selecting a specific ball from a "Probability difficult bowl of balls" include the total number of balls in the bowl, the number of balls of each color or number, and whether the selections are made with or without replacement (i.e. if the selected ball is put back into the bowl after each selection).

Can you have a situation where the probability of selecting a specific ball from a "Probability difficult bowl of balls" is unknown?

Yes, there can be situations where the probability of selecting a specific ball from a "Probability difficult bowl of balls" is unknown. This can occur if the contents of the bowl are not known or if the bowl contains a large number of balls and the quantities of each type are not specified.

How does the concept of "Probability difficult bowl of balls" relate to real-life situations?

The concept of "Probability difficult bowl of balls" can be applied to real-life situations where there are unknown or varying quantities of items that can be selected. For example, it can be used in market research studies where a sample of people are asked about their preferences and the results are used to make predictions about a larger population.