Probability Estimation with NETICA: Help for Civil Engineering Student"

• Thread starter susan_poland
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Bayes formula and NETICA software to estimate the probability that a person with a positive narcotics test result is actually a drug user. The conversation includes calculations and mentions the difficulty in using NETICA software.
susan_poland
Assume that a narcotics test gives positive results in 99% for drug users. For people not
using narcotics the test gives negative results in 98% of cases. A company decided to test its employees knowing that 0.5% of them use drugs. Estimate the probability that a person with a positive test result is indeed a user. Estimate using the NETICA software.

Hi, I'm studying Civil Engineering and now I have some humanity courses. For subject Decision Making and Negotiation Theory I have to do above problem. Can anyone know Netica and can help me? Thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dang! I don't even know what NETICA stands for, let alone know how to use it. Of course, I suppose you aren't allowed to just use Bayes rule...so easy...

Welcome to physics forums.

Well, the first task was to use Bayes formula and I did this like that:

P(U) = 0.5%
P(N) = 99.5%
P(CU|U) = 99.0%
P(CN|U) = 1.0%
P(CU|N) = 2.0%
P(CN|N) = 98.0%

P(U|CU) = [P(CU|U)*P(U)] / P(CU)
P(U|CU) = [P(CU|U)*P(U)] / [P(CU|U)*P(U) + P(CU|N)*P(N)]
P(U|CU) = [99% * 0.5%] / [99% * 0.5% +2.0% * 99.5%]
P(U|CU) = 19.92%

Is that correct?

Due to norsys.com website 'Netica, the world's most widely used Bayesian network development software, was designed to be simple, reliable, and high performing.' While for me isn't because I don't know how to use it.

Yes, your calculation is correct, although I would have expressed the algebra with decimals instead of percents. Remember, probabilities are numbers in the interval [0,1].

FAQ: Probability Estimation with NETICA: Help for Civil Engineering Student"

1. How can I learn to use NETICA for my research?

To learn how to use NETICA, you can refer to the official NETICA website, which offers tutorials and documentation on how to use the software. You can also find online courses and webinars that provide in-depth training on using NETICA for scientific research.

2. What are the main features of NETICA that make it useful for scientific research?

NETICA has many useful features for scientific research, including its ability to handle large and complex datasets, its user-friendly interface, its support for various data types and formats, its advanced modeling and analysis tools, and its integration with other software and programming languages.

3. Can NETICA be used for any type of scientific research?

NETICA is a versatile software that can be used for various types of scientific research, including data analysis, machine learning, decision making, risk assessment, and more. It can be applied in fields such as biology, medicine, psychology, environmental science, and engineering.

4. Is NETICA suitable for both beginner and advanced users?

Yes, NETICA is designed to be user-friendly for beginners, with easy-to-use tools and a simple interface. However, it also has advanced features and capabilities that make it suitable for more experienced users who require more complex modeling and analysis methods.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when using NETICA for scientific research?

Like any software, NETICA has its own limitations and challenges. Some potential issues to consider include the learning curve for beginners, the cost of the software, and the need for technical support and troubleshooting. However, with proper training and practice, these challenges can be overcome, and NETICA can be a powerful tool for scientific research.