Probability Expected Values with Cards

In summary, the problem involves laying out 52 playing cards and counting the number of "matches" that occur, defined as the 13n+1th card being an ace. The expected number of matches can be calculated by finding the probability of a match at each position and then summing them up. However, the definition of the random variable and how matches are counted can affect the calculations. It may be necessary to consider all possible combinations of one match occurring in the draw to accurately determine the expected number of matches.
Kalinka35

Homework Statement

Cards from a standard deck of 52 playing cards are laid face up one at a time. If the first card is an ace, the second card is an 2, the third card is a three, ..., the 13th card is a king, the 14th is an ace, etc. we call it a "match." The 13n+1th card does not need to be any particular ace, it just needs to be an ace. Find the expected number of matches that occur.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I let the random variable X represent the total number of matches.
So Xi=1 if the ith card is a match, and 0 if it is not a match.
Then I summed over the all the cards from 1 to 52.
The thing that I was having trouble calculating was P(Xi=1). It seems like on any given trial there is a 4/52 chance of getting a match, but this seems oversimplified.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you need to think about how you define your random variable..

If Xi is the probabilty of a match at the ith position, then for i=1, the probability of first drawing an ace will be 4/52

if X is the total number of matches, then the probabilty of X depends on how you count matches

do you stop counting matches after your first mismatch...? in that case the probability will be 4/52 multiplied by the probability of not getting a two on the 2nd card (51-4)/51
if 1st card ace...

sounds more likely you want to find the total number of matches, then you must count all the occurences of exactly one match anywhere in the draw, ie:
1-draw an ace, then no other matches...
1-no ace, 2-draw a 2, then no other matches...
... etc.

unless you can find a smart way to do this, the brute force method could get tricky as the probabilty of drawing cards will be dependent on what has been dealt previously... anyway just stuff to think about

Related to Probability Expected Values with Cards

1. What is the concept of probability expected values with cards?

The concept of probability expected values with cards is a mathematical calculation that helps determine the likelihood of a specific outcome occurring when drawing cards from a deck. This value is calculated by multiplying the probability of drawing a specific card with the associated value of that card, and then adding all of these values together.

2. How do you calculate the probability expected value with cards?

To calculate the probability expected value with cards, you must first determine the probability of drawing each individual card in the deck. This is done by dividing the number of each type of card (i.e. number cards, face cards, etc.) by the total number of cards in the deck. Then, multiply this probability by the value of each card (i.e. 2 for a number card, 10 for a face card), and add all of these values together to get the expected value.

3. What is the significance of probability expected values in card games?

Probability expected values are significant in card games because they provide insight into the likelihood of certain outcomes occurring. This information can be used to make strategic decisions in games that involve drawing cards, such as poker or blackjack.

4. Can probability expected values be used to predict the outcome of a card game?

No, probability expected values cannot be used to predict the exact outcome of a card game. They simply provide a statistical calculation of the likelihood of certain outcomes occurring. Other factors, such as skill and chance, also play a role in the outcome of a card game.

5. Are there any limitations to using probability expected values with cards?

Yes, there are limitations to using probability expected values with cards. These values are based on mathematical calculations and assume that each card is drawn randomly. In reality, other factors such as shuffling techniques or card counting may affect the actual probability of certain cards being drawn.