Probability in a multiple choice test

In summary, there are 410 ways for each student to answer the test, and the probability of them getting the same answers is 1/410. This is calculated by multiplying the probability of one student answering a specific way by the total number of possible ways to answer.
magnifik
Two students are taking a 10 question test. Each question has 4 different answers. How many ways can each student answer the test? What is the probability that these two students get the same answers?

I know that to get the number of ways to answer, the number of students is irrelevant.
nk in this case is 410

I'm stuck on the second part of the question though. Any guidance would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would assume that neither knows any actual answers (otherwise, that's a really dumb HW question for the teacher to ask). Look at it this way. However the first person answers the test, you only have to have the second student match them, so what is the probability a student answers the test in a specific way, such as A, C, A, D, B, B, B, D, A, C?

daveb said:
i would assume that neither knows any actual answers (otherwise, that's a really dumb homework question for the teacher to ask). Look at it this way. However the first person answers the test, you only have to have the second student match them, so what is the probability a student answers the test in a specific way, such as a, c, a, d, b, b, b, d, a, c?

1/410?

You got it!

daveb said:
You got it!

I'm wondering if it's 1/410 or (1/410)2 since the events are independent? Or is two students getting the same score considered one event?

Let's look at it via probability.

A = event that student #1 scores a particular score: P(A) = 4-10
B = event that student #2 scores a particular score: P(B) = 4-10

P(A and B) = P(A|B)P(B) = (4-10)2

However, this only accounts for one of the possible ways of answering, and there are 410 different possible ways for a student to answer, so they can match for each of these, which gives

(4-10)2 * 410 = 4-10

FAQ: Probability in a multiple choice test

1. What is probability in a multiple choice test?

Probability in a multiple choice test refers to the likelihood or chance of choosing the correct answer when selecting from a set of given options.

2. How is probability calculated in a multiple choice test?

The probability of choosing the correct answer in a multiple choice test is calculated by dividing the number of correct options by the total number of options. For example, if there are 4 options and only 1 is correct, the probability would be 1/4 or 25%.

3. Can probability help me improve my chances of guessing the correct answer?

Yes, probability can help improve your chances of guessing the correct answer. By understanding the likelihood of each option being correct, you can make a more informed guess and increase your chances of selecting the right answer.

4. How does the number of options affect probability in a multiple choice test?

The number of options in a multiple choice test affects the probability of selecting the correct answer. As the number of options increases, the probability of guessing the correct answer decreases. This is because there are more options to choose from, making it more difficult to select the correct one.

5. Is it possible to have a probability of 0 or 1 in a multiple choice test?

Yes, it is possible to have a probability of 0 or 1 in a multiple choice test. A probability of 0 means that there is no chance of selecting the correct answer, while a probability of 1 means that the correct option is guaranteed to be selected.