Probability in the Stern Gerlach

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of getting a 50% : 50% deflection in a y-Stern Gerlach measurement when using preselected +x or -x atoms as a source. The second part of the conversation mentions using wave equations and rotation matrices to determine the state of the atoms after rotation. The specific question being asked is unclear.
ZoroP
1.Show that one gets a 50% : 50% probability for deflection up and down in a y-Stern Gerlach measurement when atoms that are preselected as +x atoms or -x atoms are used as a source.

What kind of the equation is it? Do we just need to find the coefficients and square them?

2.A source produces atoms is using z-basis as a matrix A (1 i) and moving along y-axis. then we know a magnetic field is applied to the atoms in +y direction to rotate the dipole moment by an angle(a) and we know the rotation matrix B (about a).

For the mathematical description of the state after rotation is AB. Is that right?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It specifically says don't post homework questions here..

Anyway,

1. You need to use the wave equations for +x and -x atoms (|psi> = |+x> and |psi>=|-x>) and transform it to the y basis. Then square the coefficients.

2. Could you phrase the question in english please? I have no idea what your trying to ask.

First of all, I think I posted another same one in the advanced phys of homework forum.

Anyway, thanks first, so what is the "|psi>"? The question is just copied from the assignment paper, and I have no idea either...

michael879 said:
It specifically says don't post homework questions here..

Anyway,

1. You need to use the wave equations for +x and -x atoms (|psi> = |+x> and |psi>=|-x>) and transform it to the y basis. Then square the coefficients.

2. Could you phrase the question in english please? I have no idea what your trying to ask.

Related to Probability in the Stern Gerlach

What is the Stern Gerlach experiment?

The Stern Gerlach experiment is a famous physics experiment that demonstrates the concept of quantum spin. It involves passing a beam of particles through an inhomogeneous magnetic field, which causes the particles to deflect in different directions based on their spin.

How does the Stern Gerlach experiment relate to probability?

The Stern Gerlach experiment demonstrates the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. The particles in the experiment have a certain probability of being deflected in a certain direction, depending on their spin. This shows that at the quantum level, particles do not behave in a deterministic manner, but rather follow probabilistic rules.

What is the role of probability in the Stern Gerlach experiment?

Probability is a fundamental aspect of the Stern Gerlach experiment. It is used to describe the likelihood of a particle being deflected in a certain direction based on its spin. The experiment shows that at the quantum level, we can only predict the probability of a particle's behavior, rather than its exact trajectory.

How is probability calculated in the Stern Gerlach experiment?

The probability of a particle being deflected in a certain direction in the Stern Gerlach experiment is calculated using the wavefunction of the particle. The wavefunction describes the state of the particle and can be used to calculate the probability of its spin in a particular direction. This calculation is based on the principles of quantum mechanics.

What are the implications of probability in the Stern Gerlach experiment?

The Stern Gerlach experiment and its use of probability have significant implications for our understanding of the quantum world. It shows that at the subatomic level, particles do not behave in a deterministic manner, and instead, their behavior is governed by probability. This has led to many philosophical debates about the nature of reality and the role of observation in quantum mechanics.