Probability mass function problem

In summary: So, for example, if the probability of 1 is k, then the probability of 2 is 2k, the probability of 3 is 3k, and so on. In summary, the sample space Ω has values 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, and the probability assigned to each value w is proportional to w^2. The probability mass function p(w) for this space is found by setting the sum of all probabilities equal to 1, and the probability assigned to the interval (1; 3] is equal to the sum of the probabilities of 2 and 3.
mcafej

Homework Statement

1. The sample space Ω of a certain experiment are the values 1, 2, 3, 4 and
5 and the probability assigned to a possible value w is proportional
to w2.
(a) What is the probability mass function p(w) for this probability
space?
(b) What probability does this mass function assign to the interval
(1; 3]?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The hardest part for me to understand is the probabilities being proportional to w2. I believe the probabilities for w are 1/15, 2/15, 3/15, 4/15 and 5/15, but I'm not sure. If somebody could clear this up for me it would really help. What does it mean for w to be proportional to w2?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi mcafej! :smile:
mcafej said:
The hardest part for me to understand is the probabilities being proportional to w2. I believe the probabilities for w are 1/15, 2/15, 3/15, 4/15 and 5/15, but I'm not sure. If somebody could clear this up for me it would really help. What does it mean for w to be proportional to w2?

call them A B C D and E instead of 1 2 3 4 and 5 …

then P(E) = 25P(A), P(D) = 16P(A), P(C) = 9P(A), P(B) = 4P(A) :wink:

mcafej said:

Homework Statement

to w2.
That means that P(1)= k, P(2)= 2k, P(3)= 3k, P(4)= 4k, and P(5)= 5k for some number k.

space?
Use the fact that the probabilities must sum to 1 to find k.

(1; 3]?
That "interval" is really the set {2, 3} so the probability is P(2)+ P(3).

Homework Equations

mcafej said:

Homework Statement

to w2.
space?
(1; 3]?

Homework Equations

It does NOT say that w is proportional to w^2; it says the probability of w is proportional to w^2. Just give the word "proportional" its usual meaning.

FAQ: Probability mass function problem

What is a probability mass function?

A probability mass function (PMF) is a function that assigns probabilities to each possible outcome of a discrete random variable. It shows the probability of obtaining a specific value from a discrete set of possible values.

How is a PMF different from a probability density function (PDF)?

A PMF is used for discrete random variables, while a PDF is used for continuous random variables. A PMF gives the probability of obtaining a specific value, while a PDF gives the probability of obtaining a value within a range.

How is a PMF calculated?

To calculate a PMF, divide the number of times a specific outcome occurs by the total number of possible outcomes. This will give you the probability of obtaining that particular outcome.

What is the range of values a PMF can take?

A PMF can take values between 0 and 1, inclusive. This means that the sum of all the probabilities for all possible outcomes must be equal to 1.

Why is a PMF important in probability and statistics?

A PMF allows us to make predictions about the likelihood of obtaining a specific outcome in a given situation. It is used in various statistical analyses and is a fundamental concept in understanding and working with probability distributions.