Probability more than one claim filed?

• MHB
  • Thread starter schinb65
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: Re: Probability more then one claim filed?(Headbang) Doh! Sorry about that. I just saw the full solution just before reading you reply. I'll try to be more observant in the future, haha. :)
schinb65
In modeling the number of claims filed by an individual under an automobile policy
during a three-year period, an actuary makes the simplifying assumption that for all
integers n ≥ 0, $p_n+1 = \frac{1}{5} p_n$ , where $p_n$ represents the probability that the policyholder files $n$ claims during the period.
Under this assumption, what is the probability that a policyholder files more than one
claim during the period?

So my question is the solution which I have attached. How do we go from
$\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{5}^kp_0$ to the next step $\frac{p_0}{1-\frac{1}{5}}$

Thank you.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 47
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Probability more then one claim filed?

schinb65 said:
In modeling the number of claims filed by an individual under an automobile policy
during a three-year period, an actuary makes the simplifying assumption that for all
integers n ≥ 0, $p_n+1 = \frac{1}{5} p_n$ , where $p_n$ represents the probability that the policyholder files $n$ claims during the period.
Under this assumption, what is the probability that a policyholder files more than one
claim during the period?

So my question is the solution which I have attached. How do we go from
$\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{5}^kp_0$ to the next step $\frac{p_0}{1-\frac{1}{5}}$

Thank you.

Welcome to MHB, schinb65! :)

What you have is a so called geometric series:

$a+ar+ar^2+ar^3+ar^4+\cdots = \displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^\infty ar^k = \dfrac{a}{1-r}$​

In your case you have $a=p_0$ and $r=\frac 1 5$, so:

$p_0 + \frac 1 5 p_0 + (\frac 1 5)^2 p_0 + (\frac 1 5)^3 p_0 + (\frac 1 5)^4 p_0 + ... = \displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{1}{5}\right)^k p_0 = \dfrac{p_0}{1-\frac 1 5}$​
(Btw, I suspect you intended $p_{n+1} = \frac{1}{5} p_n$.)

ILikeSerena said:
Welcome to MHB, schinb65! :)

What you have is a so called geometric series:

$a+ar+ar^2+ar^3+ar^4+\cdots = \displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^\infty ar^k = \dfrac{a}{1-r}$​

In your case you have $a=p_0$ and $r=\frac 1 5$, so:

$p_0 + \frac 1 5 p_0 + (\frac 1 5)^2 p_0 + (\frac 1 5)^3 p_0 + (\frac 1 5)^4 p_0 + ... = \displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{1}{5}\right)^k p_0 = \dfrac{p_0}{1-\frac 1 5}$​

(Btw, I suspect you intended $p_{n+1} = \frac{1}{5} p_n$.)

Hi ILikeSerena, :)

I can't spot an error in this but I don't see where you used the fact that we are calculating $P[n>1]$. I would say we need to solve it this way: $P[n>1]=1-P[n=0]-P[n=1]$. Is that what you did in fact?

Jameson said:
Hi ILikeSerena, :)

I can't spot an error in this but I don't see where you used the fact that we are calculating $P[n>1]$. I would say we need to solve it this way: $P[n>1]=1-P[n=0]-P[n=1]$. Is that what you did in fact?

Hi Jameson ;)

The attachment in the OP contains the full solution including what you just mentioned.
I only clarified the step in it that schinb65 asked about.

ILikeSerena said:
Hi Jameson ;)

The attachment in the OP contains the full solution including what you just mentioned.
I only clarified the step in it that schinb65 asked about.

(Headbang) Doh! Sorry about that. I just saw the full solution just before reading you reply. I'll try to be more observant in the future, haha. :)

Related to Probability more than one claim filed?

1. What is the meaning of "probability more than one claim filed"?

"Probability more than one claim filed" refers to the likelihood that multiple claims will be filed in a given situation or scenario. It is a measure of the chances that two or more individuals will make a claim for the same thing.

2. How is the probability of more than one claim filed calculated?

The probability of more than one claim filed is calculated by dividing the number of possible outcomes where more than one claim is made by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What factors can affect the probability of more than one claim filed?

The probability of more than one claim filed can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the number of people involved, the complexity of the situation, and the perceived value of the claim. Additionally, external factors such as cultural norms and social influences can also play a role.

4. How can probability of more than one claim filed be used in decision making?

The probability of more than one claim filed can be used in decision making by providing insight into the likelihood of multiple claims being made. This information can help individuals and organizations anticipate and prepare for potential outcomes and make informed decisions.

5. Is the probability of more than one claim filed always a bad thing?

No, the probability of more than one claim filed is not always a bad thing. While it may indicate potential conflicts or disputes, it can also be seen as a sign of diversity and differing perspectives. Additionally, having multiple claims filed can provide a more comprehensive understanding of a situation and lead to fairer resolutions.