Probability of 2 white spheres from 7 spheres?

• Thread starter Questions999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: C (a/b) is not a standard notation, but that does not mean you cannot use it. Yes, it helps. So, here is what you have: $$\frac{C(2/8)}{C(2/13)} = \frac{1/28}{1/78} = \frac{3}{7},$$$$\frac{C(1/6)}{C(1/11)} = \frac{1/6}{1/330} = \frac{55}{6},$$$$\frac{C(2/5)}{C(2/13)} = \frac{1/10}{1/78} =
Questions999

Homework Statement

We have 8 white spheres and 5 black spheres in a box.We casually take out of the box a sphere and don't put it there again.Then we take two spheres out of the box.Find the probability that the spheres are both white.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I put H1 --> the case where we have two white spheres so that means we have 6 white spheres and 5 black spheres
H2- One white sphere and one black sphere : we have 7 white spheres and 4 black spheres
H3 we take have two black spheres so we have 8 white and 3 black spheres

To find P(A) which is what I want I have to find the SUM of P(H)*P(A/H)
I find P(H1)= C (2/8)/C (2/13) and P(A/H1)=C (1/6)/C(1/11)
P(H2)=C (2/5)/ C( 2/13) and P(A/H2)= C (1/7)/ C(1/11)
and P(H3)= C (1/5) * C(1/8)/C (2/13).I find P (A/H3)=C(1/8)/C (1/11)

Now i multiply each P(H) with each P(A/H) and take their sum
BUT something tells me that I am wrong...am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the event A that you're trying to calculate, and why can't I find anywhere in your post where you take into account that first sphere being removed?

You shouldn't have to calculate the probabilities of H2 and H3 from this problem. Just do it iteratively. Suppose I remove a black ball from the first. What's the probability my second ball is white? What's the probability my third ball is white then?

Elaia06 said:

Homework Statement

We have 8 white spheres and 5 black spheres in a box.We casually take out of the box a sphere and don't put it there again.Then we take two spheres out of the box.Find the probability that the spheres are both white.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I put H1 --> the case where we have two white spheres so that means we have 6 white spheres and 5 black spheres
H2- One white sphere and one black sphere : we have 7 white spheres and 4 black spheres
H3 we take have two black spheres so we have 8 white and 3 black spheres

To find P(A) which is what I want I have to find the SUM of P(H)*P(A/H)
I find P(H1)= C (2/8)/C (2/13) and P(A/H1)=C (1/6)/C(1/11)
P(H2)=C (2/5)/ C( 2/13) and P(A/H2)= C (1/7)/ C(1/11)
and P(H3)= C (1/5) * C(1/8)/C (2/13).I find P (A/H3)=C(1/8)/C (1/11)

Now i multiply each P(H) with each P(A/H) and take their sum
BUT something tells me that I am wrong...am I wrong?

I cannot make any sense of your approach. Why not take the easy way: look at what happens if the first sphere is white or the first sphere is black (i.e., first = before drawing the next two).

The removal of the first sphere is irrelevant. You just want the probability that two particular spheres (namely, the second and third removed) are both white.

haruspex said:
The removal of the first sphere is irrelevant. You just want the probability that two particular spheres (namely, the second and third removed) are both white.

That is one way. Another way is to condition on the color of the first sphere, which then changes the color probabilities of the next two.

More to the point (and maybe very surprising to the OP): the view you suggest leads to the conclusion that the answer is the same as the probability of drawing two balls only and having both white, which is the same as the probability that when we draw three balls the first and third are white, etc. It is even the same as the probability that we draw all 13 balls and find the last two are white!

Last edited:
I looked at this again and changed my solution :
We put H1-> The event when we take the white sphere from the box
We put H2->The event when we take the black sphere from the box
We put A/H1->The event when we take two white spheres,after we have taken a white sphere
and A/H2-->The event when we take two white spheres,after we have taken a black sphere
I find P(H1)=8/13 and P(H2)=5/13
P(A/H1)= C(2/7)/C(2/12) and P(A/H2)=C(2/4)/C(2/12)
We replace this P(A)=P(H1)*P(A/H1) + P(H2)*P(A/H2)..
is this correct?

Elaia06 said:
I looked at this again and changed my solution :
We put H1-> The event when we take the white sphere from the box
We put H2->The event when we take the black sphere from the box
We put A/H1->The event when we take two white spheres,after we have taken a white sphere
and A/H2-->The event when we take two white spheres,after we have taken a black sphere
I find P(H1)=8/13 and P(H2)=5/13
P(A/H1)= C(2/7)/C(2/12) and P(A/H2)=C(2/4)/C(2/12)
We replace this P(A)=P(H1)*P(A/H1) + P(H2)*P(A/H2)..
is this correct?

Is C(a/b) supposed to represent C(b,a) = "b choose a"?

What final numerical value do you get? (I am reluctant to answer your question until you finish your work.)

Ray, C (a/b) means http://s13.postimg.org/ygykmbprb/untitled.png
C is for combinatoric C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elaia06 said:
Ray, C (a/b) means http://s13.postimg.org/ygykmbprb/untitled.png
C is for combinatoric C.

That does not help. The usual notations for "b choose a" (b ≥ a) are
[tex] {}_bC_a \text{ or } C_a^b \text{ or } {b \choose a}, [/tex] where the relative position of 'a and 'b' are vital. Your notation seems to have 'a' and 'b' reversed; that is why I asked you the question "do you mean ' b choose a'?" You have still not given me a yes or no answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I mean a choose b.

Elaia06 said:
No I mean a choose b.

OK, so you have C(2/7) = 0, C(2/12) = 0, etc.

No mate, k=2 and n=7 if you know what I mean.

Elaia06 said:
No mate, k=2 and n=7 if you know what I mean.
Then you meant "b choose a", as Ray said. It's short for "from b choose a".

FAQ: Probability of 2 white spheres from 7 spheres?

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood or chance that a certain event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data and can vary due to chance or other factors.

4. How do you use probability in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as weather forecasting, risk assessment, and gambling. It can also be used to make informed decisions and predictions based on the likelihood of certain events occurring.

5. Can probability be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1 or less than 0. This would indicate that an event is guaranteed to happen or impossible to happen, which goes against the definition of probability.

Back