Probability of 6 in > 5 Die Tosses

• Thread starter Mogarrr
  • Start date
In summary: This is the probability of not getting a 6 on any of 5 throws. What is the probability you will get a 6 on any of 5 throws? This is the probability of getting a 6 on any of 5 throws.
Mogarrr

Homework Statement

A fair die is cast until a 6 appears. What is the probability that it must be cast more than five times.

Homework Equations

The die is fair, hence like most of the problems I can assume equally likely outcomes.
[itex]P(A^c)=1-P(A)[/itex] for any event A

The Attempt at a Solution

Theoretically, a 6 may never come up. It should be better to calculate the complement of the event.
The complement, I think, is the event in at least 5 tosses, a 6 occurs. So a 6 may occur in the 1st toss or the 2nd toss or... or the 5th toss.

So I have [itex] \frac 16 + \frac 56 \cdot \frac 16 + ... + (\frac 56)^4 \cdot \frac 16 [/itex]
Then factoring out [itex]\frac 16[/itex] and writing the probabilities as a summation, I have
[itex] \frac 16 \cdot \sum_{k=1}^5 (\frac 56)^{5-i} [/itex]

Is this correct? I don't have the answer. I suspect this can be derived from a probability distribution. If my suspicions are correct, which probability distribution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mogarrr said:
A fair die is cast until a 6 appears. What is the probability that it must be cast more than five times.
Isn't this just the probability that none of the first five is a 6?

Likes 1 person
Fredrik said:
Isn't this just the probability that none of the first five is a 6?

Right you are. In my originial post, I should have wrote [itex] 1 - (\frac 16 \cdot \sum_{i=1}^5(\frac 56)^{5-i})[/itex].

Which is approximately 0.4.

What you suggested (and I agree with) is [itex]P(Event)= (\frac 56)^5[/itex]. Which is the same number.

This seems to much like a coincidence. Any thoughts?

I didn't really look at the LaTeX in your post. I just looked at the problem statement and immediately thought that the problem should be equivalent to finding the probability of five consecutive results in the 1-5 range. Then I read enough of your post to see that you appeared to be solving a more complicated problem. For a moment I thought that I must have misunderstood the problem, so I thought about it some more, but I couldn't find anything wrong with my first thought.

My interpretation of the problem is this: Suppose that we roll the die over and over until we get a six. Then we write down the sequence we got. Repeat this indefinitely. The problem is asking what fraction of the sequences we're writing down will not have a 6 among the first five numbers. If there's less than five numbers in the sequence, we can just pad it with more sixes so that we have a 5-digit sequence. The frequency of 5-digit initial sequences without sixes has to be equal to the probability that an arbitrary 5-digit sequence doesn't contain any sixes.

Your sum is the first few terms of a geometric series. It's not hard to find the sum as a fraction.

I just want to add that your summation is unnecessarily more complicated than it should be. Given
[tex] \frac 16 + \frac 56 \cdot \frac 16 + ... + (\frac 56)^4 \cdot \frac 16 [/tex]

This summation expression that you gave
[tex]\frac 16\cdot \sum_{k=1}^5 (\frac 56)^{5-i} [/tex]
(by the way, you used k and i as your dummy variable accidentally)

is equivalent to
[tex]\frac 16\cdot \sum_{k=0}^4 (\frac 56)^{k} [/tex]

which I'm sure you would agree is easier to read.

Mogarrr said:
Right you are. In my originial post, I should have wrote [itex] 1 - (\frac 16 \cdot \sum_{i=1}^5(\frac 56)^{5-i})[/itex].

Which is approximately 0.4.

What you suggested (and I agree with) is [itex]P(Event)= (\frac 56)^5[/itex]. Which is the same number.

This seems to much like a coincidence. Any thoughts?

There is no coincidence here; you are just computing the right-tail of the geometric distribution. Google is your friend. See, eg., http://www.math.uah.edu/stat/bernoulli/Geometric.html .

Last edited:
The probability you do NOT get a 6 on anyone throw is 5/6. What is the probability you will NOT get a 6 on any of 5 consecutive throws?

Related to Probability of 6 in > 5 Die Tosses

1. What is the probability of getting at least one 6 in 5 die tosses?

The probability of getting at least one 6 in 5 die tosses is approximately 66.51%. This means that in a random experiment of tossing 5 dice, there is a high likelihood of getting at least one 6.

2. How is the probability calculated for getting a 6 in 5 die tosses?

The probability is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes (getting at least one 6) by the total possible outcomes. In this case, the number of desired outcomes is 7776 (6^5) and the total possible outcomes is 7776 (6^5). This gives a probability of 0.6651 or 66.51%.

3. Is the probability of getting a 6 in 5 die tosses affected by the number of dice?

Yes, the probability is affected by the number of dice. As the number of dice increases, the probability of getting at least one 6 also increases. For example, in 10 die tosses, the probability of getting at least one 6 is 99.52%.

4. What is the probability of getting exactly one 6 in 5 die tosses?

The probability of getting exactly one 6 in 5 die tosses is approximately 26.3%. This means that in a random experiment of tossing 5 dice, there is a 26.3% chance of getting exactly one 6 and the remaining dice landing on numbers other than 6.

5. How does the probability of getting a 6 in 5 die tosses change if the dice are biased?

If the dice are biased, the probability of getting a 6 in 5 die tosses will be different. It will depend on the degree of bias and the distribution of probabilities for each side of the die. In general, a biased die will have a higher or lower probability of landing on certain numbers, which will affect the overall probability of getting a 6 in 5 die tosses.