Probability of a customer seeing the advertisement in at least one of two media?

I'll go with your first answer then. Thanks for your help!In summary, the probability of a randomly selected customer seeing the advertisement in at least one of the two media is 2/5. This is calculated by subtracting the number of customers who saw the ad in both sources (30) from the total number of customers who saw the ad in either source (60+50=110) and dividing by the total number of customers (200). This assumes that the 30 customers who saw the ad in both sources are included in the 60 and 50 customers who saw it in the newspaper and TV, respectively.
kshah93

Homework Statement

A computer store advertised its annual half-price sale in the newspaper and on TV. A survey of 200 customers indicated that 60 learned about the sale from the newspaper, 50 from TV, and 30 from both sources. What is the probability of the following events?
b) A randomly selected customer saw the advertisement in at least one of the two media.

Homework Equations

P(A or B)= P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)

The Attempt at a Solution

Let A be Newspaper
Let B be TV

P(A or B) = (60 + 30 + 50) / 200 = 7/10

Apparently my answer is wrong. The correct answer in the back of my textbook is 2/5. I know how to calculate this using the equation I provided in the relevant equation section, but I don't see why I would use this. My confusion lies in the fact that it says that 60 out of 200 customers learned from the newspaper, 50 out of 200 learned from the TV, and 30 out of 200 learned from both. So why would you use the equation above when each event is mutually exclusive. I mean it says that 60 learned from the TV. That means that 60 out of 200 only learned from the TV. There is no intersection between these events. Can someone help me understand this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be

P(A or B) = (60+50-30)/200 = 80/200 = 2/5

Square said:
It should be

P(A or B) = (60+50-30)/200 = 80/200 = 2/5

Yeah, I know that but why? I mean it gives you the total number of customers (200) and it tells you 60 out of those 200 learned from the newspaper, 30 out of 200 learned from both sources and 50 out of 200 learned from TV. So wouldn't you just add all the individual probabilities and divide that by your total number of people? I mean how do we know that the 60 people that learned from the newspaper are completely different from those that learned from the newspaper and those that learned from both?

kshah93 said:
Yeah, I know that but why? I mean it gives you the total number of customers (200) and it tells you 60 out of those 200 learned from the newspaper, 30 out of 200 learned from both sources and 50 out of 200 learned from TV. So wouldn't you just add all the individual probabilities and divide that by your total number of people?

I think you might be right, and the book wrong, since it says "saw the advertisement in at least one of the two media."

Then it should be

1-(60/200) = 7/10

The complement of the probability that the customer did not see the advertisement at all. Which is the same as your result.

The probability is the number of favourable possibilities divided by the number of all possibilities to choose a person out of 200. The favourable possibility is that the person saw the advertisement at least at one place. The set of such people is the union of those who saw it in newspapers (A) and those who saw it in TV (B): A+B. This union of the sets can be decomposed into three disjunct sets: A\B,(blue) B\A (yellow) and AB (the intersection of A and B, green)
Calculate the cardinality of these three sets, and add them: You get all people who learned about the sale.

ehild

Attachments

• sets.JPG
    sets.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
The number who saw the ad in at least one source = N(paper) + N(TV) - N(both), because when we add N(paper) and N(TV), we are double-counting the people in both. That is, N(both) is part of N(paper) and is part of N(TV).

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
The number who saw the ad in at least one source = N(paper) + N(TV) - N(both), because when we add N(paper) and N(TV), we are double-counting the people in both. That is, N(both) is part of N(paper) and is part of N(TV).

RGV

But how do you know that those people are not different? Say the 60 people vs the 50 people vs the 30 people? Are you supposed to assume that the 30 that heard from both sources includes people from the 60 people who heard from the newspaper and the 50 people that heard from the TV? The question is not really clear about this.

ehild said:
The probability is the number of favourable possibilities divided by the number of all possibilities to choose a person out of 200. The favourable possibility is that the person saw the advertisement at least at one place. The set of such people is the union of those who saw it in newspapers (A) and those who saw it in TV (B): A+B. This union of the sets can be decomposed into three disjunct sets: A\B,(blue) B\A (yellow) and AB (the intersection of A and B, green)
Calculate the cardinality of these three sets, and add them: You get all people who learned about the sale.

ehild

I totally agree with you but my question is how do you know that the 30 people that both saw the ad on TV and in the paper include the 50 people that saw it on TV and the 60 people that saw it in the paper. How do you know that the 60 people is not the blue shaded region only, the 30 the green shaded region, and the 50 people the yellow shaded region, giving a total number of (50+30+60) people who saw the ad?

Well, the text can be understood in both ways in common speach. But when a mathematician says "60 people learned about the sale from the newspaper" he/she means just that, and does not mean that they learned it only from newspaper. If they meant so they would write "from newspaper exclusively".

ehild

ehild said:
Well, the text can be understood in both ways in common speach. But when a mathematician says "60 people learned about the sale from the newspaper" he/she means just that, and does not mean that they learned it only from newspaper. If they meant so they would write "from newspaper exclusively".

ehild

Thanks. That made things clearer.

FAQ: Probability of a customer seeing the advertisement in at least one of two media?

1. What is probability confusion?

Probability confusion refers to the difficulty in understanding or interpreting the concept of probability, which is the likelihood or chance of an event occurring.

2. Why is it important to understand probability?

Understanding probability is important because it helps us make informed decisions and predictions based on the likelihood of an event happening. It is also a fundamental concept in many fields of science and mathematics.

3. What are some common sources of probability confusion?

Some common sources of probability confusion include the use of vague language, not accounting for all possible outcomes, and not understanding the difference between independent and dependent events.

4. How can probability confusion be avoided?

To avoid probability confusion, it is important to use clear and precise language when discussing probabilities. It is also helpful to make sure all possible outcomes are considered and to understand the relationships between events.

5. How can probability be calculated and expressed?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. It can be expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

Back