Probability of a Gin Hand with Cards from Two Suits

In summary, the probability of a gin hand consisting of 10 cards from two suits is (4 pick 2) [ (24 pick 10) - (2 pick 1)*(12 pick 10) ] / ( 48 pick 10 ). This extra term accounts for the possibility of all 10 cards coming from the same suit, which needs to be subtracted from the overall probability.
roeb

Homework Statement

A gin hand consists of 10 cards from a deck of 48 cards (4 Ace Cards are missing).

Find the probability that a gin hand has all 10 cards from two suits.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So my thinking would be since we have 12 cards per suit and we are picking from two out of four possible suits, so Probability = ( 24 pick 10 ) * (4 pick 2) / (48 pick 10 )

In the actual answer there is another factor that I'm missing: (4 pick 2) [ (24 pick 10) - (2 pick 1)*(12 pick 10) ] / ( 48 pick 10)

Does anyone know where this extra term comes from? (2 pick 1)*(12 pick 10)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you write (24 pick 10), then you haven't eliminated the possibility that those 10 cards come from the same suit. I think that they want you to find the probability such that the 10 cards come from two suits (and not all from 1 suit), at least that's how I interpreted the question...

Related to Probability of a Gin Hand with Cards from Two Suits

1. What is the probability of getting a straight in a hand of poker?

The probability of getting a straight in a hand of poker is approximately 0.39%. This means that out of every 100 hands, you can expect to get a straight about 0.39 times.

2. What are the chances of getting a royal flush in a game of poker?

The chances of getting a royal flush in a game of poker are extremely low, at approximately 0.000154%. This means that out of every 650,000 hands, you can expect to get a royal flush once.

3. What is the probability of getting a pair in a hand of poker?

The probability of getting a pair in a hand of poker is about 42.26%. This means that out of every 100 hands, you can expect to get a pair about 42 times.

4. How likely is it to get a full house in a game of poker?

The likelihood of getting a full house in a game of poker is about 0.14%. This means that out of every 700 hands, you can expect to get a full house once.

5. What is the probability of getting a flush in a hand of poker?

The probability of getting a flush in a hand of poker is approximately 0.197%. This means that out of every 510 hands, you can expect to get a flush once.