Probability of Child Contracting Waterpokken

In summary, 4000 unvaccinated children have a 1/1000 chance of contracting the disease, 4000 vaccinated children have a 1/100 chance of contracting the disease, and 6000 children have no chance of contracting the disease.
discy

Homework Statement

In a population of children 60% are vaccinated against the 'waterpokken'. The probablilities of contracting 'waterpokking' are 1/1000 if the child is vaccinated and 1/100 if not.

a: Find the probability that a child selected at random will contract 'waterpokken'.

Homework Equations

Bayes Theorem: P(A|B) = P(A/\B) / P(B)
Formula sheet? View attachment stat_formulas.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

Known values: P(V) = 0.6 | P(⌐V) = 0.4 | P(W|V) = 0.001 | P(W|⌐V) = 0.01

a: Find the probability that a child selected at random will contract 'waterpokken'.
  1. The question is: what is P(W)?
    From Bayes Theorem I conclude: P(W) = P(V/\W) / P(V|W)
    Both P(V/\W) & P(V|W) are unkown at this stage.
  2. P(V/\W)?
    Fill in known values in bayes theorem:
    P(W|V) = P(W/\V) / P(V) = 0.001 = P(W/\V) / 0.6
    So: P(V/\W) = P(W/\V) = P(V) * P(W|V) = 0.6 * 0.001 = 0.0006
    Until here I get it! But now...
  3. P(V|W)?
    P(V|W) = P(V/\W) / P(W) but I don't know P(W) :S?

Answer sheet solution:
    P(W/\⌐V) = P(W|⌐V) = 0.01 * 0.4 = 0.004
    P(W) = P(W/\V) + P(W/\⌐V) = 0.0006 + 0.004 = 0.0046

1. What rules are applied in the third section? Could someone explain to me how they conclude to
P(W/\⌐V) = P(W|⌐V) and P(W) = P(W/\V) + P(W/\⌐V) ?

Maybe it's part of the formulas at the bottom of the first page of my formula sheet View attachment stat_formulas.pdf

2. Is there a way I could have known that I would need to work to that solution. Because I concluded I needed to work towards P(W) = P(V/\W) / P(V|W) but that plainly doesn't work..:(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
is my question not clear enough?:( The exam is tomorrow (tuesday).

It doesn't require Bayes theorem. Just plug the numbers into

[tex]P(W) = P(W|V)P(V) + P(W|\overline V)P(\overline V)[/tex]

I always prefer to work with integers! Suppose there are 10000 children. 6000 of them are vaccinated, 4000 are not. Of the 6000 who are vaccinated 6 of them contract the disease, 5994. Of the 4000 who are not vaccinated, 40 contract the disease.

Related to Probability of Child Contracting Waterpokken

What is the probability of a child contracting Waterpokken?

The probability of a child contracting Waterpokken (also known as chickenpox) depends on several factors such as the child's age, vaccination status, and exposure to the virus. In unvaccinated children, the probability can range from 70-90% if exposed to the virus.

How is the probability of contracting Waterpokken affected by vaccination?

Vaccination against Waterpokken greatly reduces the probability of contracting the virus. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that the chickenpox vaccine is about 90% effective in preventing the disease.

What age group is most at risk for contracting Waterpokken?

Children between the ages of 5-9 years old are most at risk for contracting Waterpokken, as they have not yet been vaccinated and are often in close contact with other children who may have the virus.

Can a child still contract Waterpokken if they have been vaccinated?

While the chickenpox vaccine is highly effective, it is not 100% guaranteed to prevent the disease. In rare cases, a child who has been vaccinated may still contract Waterpokken, but the symptoms are usually milder and less severe.

What are the long-term effects of contracting Waterpokken?

Most children who contract Waterpokken will recover without any long-term effects. However, in rare cases, the virus can lead to more serious complications such as pneumonia, encephalitis, and bacterial skin infections. It is important to seek medical attention if a child experiences any concerning symptoms or complications.